Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mixed results after one month of use
Mixed results after one month of use
            Hello all,

Today marks day 30 of using my ResMed AirSense 10. It's been hit or miss overall and has definitely not been an easy adjustment, but I have seen some positive results (better mood and energy level, etc.). However, for the past week or two those positive effects have petered off and I've been hit with waves of exhaustion lately, much like I experienced before I started therapy.

I have just started using OSCAR and have attached screenshots of last night's results. As far as I know, I'm doing everything correctly and my numbers are pretty good. I have adjusted the pressure settings to 8-15 recently (previously 5-15) and haven't touched any other settings. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I can do to optimize therapy? I'm just not obtaining the same benefits that I was getting previously and am keen on fine-tuning whatever I can to make sure I can obtain the maximum benefits out of my device.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mixed results after one month of use
I just realized I could delete sessions from the summary page on OSCAR, so I've done that for the long session of inactivity. Here are the screenshots. Hopefully it brings added clarity.            
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Your events and settings both look pretty good.  I hope someone else comes along who can offer advice on those if it's needed.  I do know that for some folks therapy is uncomfortable and they don't feel any better for a while.  Don't be discouraged; you're not alone in this.  It WILL get better.  Smile

Your Oscar chart could use a little help.  The format you used in your second chart on your second post is the best, but it would be good to delete the calendar so we can see good information further down on that panel.  The chart should show Event Flags, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leak Rate, and Flow Limits, in that order.  In that way, everything we need to see is all there on one chart.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Before we try pressure changes I would like you to try changing the response from soft normal and see what that does.  It should get to the apnea quicker and reduce the AHI.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions and advice.

I changed the response from 'soft' to 'normal' before bed last night. The chart looks completely different.

Is there anything else I can fine-tune to improve treatment? I feel like my AHI is still a bit high, and additionally I don't know why I'm getting so many central apnea events whereas it seems like not many others do. 

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Would there be someone able to tell me if my settings look good and if there's anything else I can do to optimize therapy? I'd really appreciate it because I don't feel like it's optimized quite yet. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing I would add is to bump up your min pressure from 8 to 10. You can see the 8 working whilst in light sleep (21:15 to 23:00), but once you hit deep sleep (23:00) things go bonkers and never quite settle down. Starting at a higher min pressure may help smooth things out.

Something like:

Min pressure 10
Max pressure 15
EPR 3 full-time

It may not quite work like I think, so if it does not help just go back to where you were previously and we can work from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
While your leak rate is within the acceptable range, I suspect some mouth-leaking may have started to disturb your sleep when you started experiencing poorer results. You can contact your equipment provider and ask for a full face mask. It's expected that a new user will have to try out several masks, so it's probably covered by your provider's policies or by your insurance.

If a full face mask is out of the question you can ask your equipment provider for a chin strap, or try a soft cervical collar. In my experience, the full face mask is the way to go.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you! I will implement your suggestions and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alarming results on oscar Lucy84 13 566 10-01-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help analyzing results. Low AHI but still sleepy boromt 14 543 09-28-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Help with Sleep Study Results cjk422 8 307 09-25-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: cjk422
  One month in - narrowing pressure range? nwilson 1 135 09-24-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Understanding sleep study results Moemah123 11 438 09-18-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR Results Help Napnea4 4 217 09-07-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question [CPAP] Oscar results - How can I improve on this further? nomosnow 4 291 09-05-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: nomosnow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.