Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leak while using full face mask
Mouth leak while using full face mask
I’ve been using a cpap for several years and only recently started experiencing an issue where, when I open my mouth while wearing a full face mask, I have a moderate mouth leak. It’s not a “blow your mouth open” leak, but it’s noticeable, uncomfortable, and is showing up as a leak in the MyAir app at least (I know I’m supposed to do Oscar but I never had the need to). 

Has anyone experienced something similar?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leak while using full face mask
Mouth breathing or air leaking from an open mouth while wearing a full face mask isn't preferable, but should not be showing up as a leak on MyAir.

Your mask may be moving or shifting as you move in your sleep and thus causes an air leak.

Also, consider the age of the mask cushion. It may need to be changed.

I don't use a full face mask, but I know many here use mouth tape with their FF masks.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use both FF and a nasal mask.  When using my ResMed f20 FF mask at 10cm I could develop a major mask leak near my mouth.  The leak was occurring due to the tightened mask pushing back against my chin causing my mouth to open, which would then break the mask seal.  I started using a mouth guard with no hole and it really helps to keep my chin from moving back and down...no more leaks.  I also use the mouth guard when I am using my nasal mask as I am a big time mouth breather and it helps with that too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Opal. You probably just need a new mask cushion. Or perhaps you need to tighten your mask straps, get a new mask, or wash your mask strap.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried with several cushions - same result  I don’t know what’s happening. I’m going to try to switch to a nasal mask again and use mouth tape. It’s getting old dealing with the leaks and issues with a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR charts show the difference between a mouth leak and a mask leak. I use an F20 AirTouch cushion and about 99% of any mask leaks I have are when I adjust the cushion during the night--it slips and can end up in my mouth. I have virtually no mask leaks except those adjustment ones. I do show some mouth leaks but they stay below the large leak marker.
Post Reply Post Reply
Following...

I'm using my F&P Evora Full full face mask. I had my Knightsbridge Dual Band cap on over the mask headgear.

Last night myAir said..."Great Score!" It was 69. Mask fit was 0! cpap is my S10 Auto *for her* machine.

I bought it to simplify my life. I don't want to tape my mouth, or use a cervical collar....

It's a well made mask....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2023, 11:14 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: OSCAR charts show the difference between a mouth leak and a mask leak.  I use an F20 AirTouch cushion and about 99% of any mask leaks I have are when I adjust the cushion during the night--it slips and can end up in my mouth.  I have virtually no mask leaks except those adjustment ones.  I do show some mouth leaks but they stay below the large leak marker.

Probably a dumb question but how can I tell the difference between a mouth leak and a mask leak on my Oscar charts?

Thanks,
Bernie
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2023, 11:55 PM)Glo679hg Wrote: (I know I’m supposed to do Oscar but I never had the need to). 

If you're using the AirMini, it is not currently supported by OSCAR.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@bernieb Re your question on how to tell the difference in mouth and mask leaks. From the info I have gathered on this forum a mask leak is shown as a pointed spike and a mouth leaks are shown as flat-topped. I'm certain someone with more knowledge about this will chime in if I am wrong!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 31 4,215 2 hours ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 14 1,574 Yesterday, 08:08 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 29 1,049 Yesterday, 06:59 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 19 966 09-29-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Started noticing dry mouth in the morning BionicSpud 13 282 09-29-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Should Mask Removal Trigger Leak Alarm? Perchance2Dream 1 79 09-29-2024, 08:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 19 1,531 09-24-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.