Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

My Better Sleep Journal
My Better Sleep Journal
Hello, all. I was recommended to register here by CPAP Friend (Andrew). 

I've had my machine for a month now. I haven't been using it as consistently as I should, but when I have used it, I haven't noticed that big of a difference yet. I am starting to consider the first month as the "growing pains" month. I tried to keep my initial expectations low so I wouldn't be disappointed and give myself time to adapt to something so new to my life.

Anyway, Andrew checked my OSCAR info and recommended that I stop using the doctor prescribed 4-20 pressure and start at a static 10 and go up to 15. I didn't feel any different at 10 and didn't have any negative side effects, so I decided to go up to 11 yesterday. Still don't feel much different. 

My current problem which may be related to sleep apnea is that I'm not sleeping a full 7+ hours. Most of the week I'm waking up at 4-5 hours and can't go back to sleep. I think it's because I'm not eating enough calories and protein during the day. I'm trying to lose weight to alleviate my obstructive apnea, but if I eat to little my body will wake me up, most of the time to eat. It's been frustrating. 

I did a sleep lab test two months ago and got an AHI of 18. All obstructive, no central. I'm aware now that AHI isn't the best diagnosis for sleep apnea. I asked for pages and pages of my lab results so I can share whatever you guys want to see. 

I asked my DME to send me a P10 and it's coming in the mail now. I would like to try a nose mask to see if it makes a bigger difference for me. I've gotten used to the face mask but I think a big reason why I'm still feeling tired is because I'm mostly breathing through my mouth and not my nose. 

My biggest fear right now is my sleep negatively affecting yet another great job and causing me to perform poorly and lose it. I don't want to be this person anymore. 

Here's a screenshot of my latest info. If you need to see anything else let me know.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Better Sleep Journal
Quick Update. Working on lowering my flow limitation. It's still way too high. 95% at 0.6 which may be why I feel like sh*t today. 

I don't feel good today even though I slept from ~11-6 and my eyes are less bloodshot than usual. Feels almost like a hangover. 

Going to go up to 10.4 tonight and maybe raise a decimal every night until I get to 15. I have a mild headache that I hope isn't because of the huge jump in pressure. I didn't have one when I went from 5-10 pressure a few days ago.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard, Himm.  Smart moving slowly increasing your max pressure.  Looking at your OSCAR sidebar, you are hitting 10 pressure on your 95% and 99%.  Try to slowly raise it until you are not hitting your maximum pressure (maybe 0.5 to 1.0 beneath your max pressure or so).  

It may take some time to get adjusted to therapy and to start seeing positive results also.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2024, 11:59 AM)Jay51 Wrote: Welcome to ApneaBoard, Himm.  Smart moving slowly increasing your max pressure.  Looking at your OSCAR sidebar, you are hitting 10 pressure on your 95% and 99%.  Try to slowly raise it until you are not hitting your maximum pressure (maybe 0.5 to 1.0 beneath your max pressure or so).  

It may take some time to get adjusted to therapy and to start seeing positive results also.

he would need apap mode for that right?

could also try some EPR to try to deal with FLs, or some higher pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is the best tool to reduce FLs. I suggest you try EPR of 3 full time and post again.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Melman and Narcil are correct.  Try their suggestions.  EPR is the best tool to reduce flow limitations.  The added inhalation pressure of EPR gives a little "umph" or boost to your natural inhale to improve it and make it a bit stronger and help overcome flow limitations.  EPR should work in both cpap or apap mode I think.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the above recommendations for EPR 3.

It will take a while to acclimate your body to the therapy. Try to wear the mask during the day while doing something distracting. Like watching CPAP friend's YT videos, or searching the ApneaBoard Wiki. You can always deselect those sessions for display of OSCAR Reports for review here on the forum, yet as a bonus those sessions count towards your compliance for insurance.

Welcome aboard, any questions, concerns or comments. please let us know.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with our other members' advice about turning up EPR to 3, but I would leave it in cpap mode and bump pressure up to 12cm asap.
Post Reply Post Reply
All, the OP is already using EPR of 3 with a fixed pressure.

Himm, I'm interested to see such different flow limitation results in the two charts you posted. Any guesses about why? Nasal congestion might be one culprit; sleep position another. (Sleep position issues could include sleeping on your back or stomach or in a posture that kinks your neck some.

There were also some big differences in your leaks. Were you using a full-face mask both nights?

I think UnicornRider has given great advice about using the machine during the day. I'd add only that this will be most helpful if you set the machine up outside your bedroom. That helps your brain associate bed with sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments everyone. 

I've already had EPR set to 3 when I got the machine and never changed it. I have been using the F20 silicone version mask. 

I'm up to CPAP mode 11.4 pressure last night. I still don't feel completely well rested (not sleeping enough hours effects that I'm sure), but I feel comfortable going up to 12 tonight, and I think I can get to 15 by the end of the week. If that's not enough, I have an upcoming check up this month where I can ask about BiPAP. 

I like my lower flow limitations last night, but still having leaks every night since increasing pressure. I think it's because my beard is growing out. Hoping to shave today. I have tried to tighten my F20 but if I go too far I get headaches the next day. 

I do often have nasal congestion when laying down. Cleaning my room and sheets can help. 

Side note, shaving has always been frustrating for me because I often get razor bumps, so I tend to not shave longer to avoid them. I will finally be experimenting with different types of razors so I can have a low stubble but not have to shave completely. The F20 mask should fit better by then. 

While still on the topic of masks, I got my P30 in the mail recently. I may try it out tonight if I have time and not even have to deal with the F20 at all. I'm a little scared of trying on a new mask the night before my first day of work. I may wait until the weekend. Unfortunately it's already Sunday afternoon and I hope I can still find mouth tape tonight, which I'm almost certain I will need. 

I don't use the machine during the day enough which is definitely affecting my compliance. My compliance has been honestly pretty bad so far. It's at 50% or less when it's supposed to be 70%. I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that I may have to buy this thing and the end of my 3 months. I'm doing a little better now but I don't know if I'll be able to catch up to 70% in time. I leave it in my bedroom on my work desk. It's a hassle to set it up in my living room because of outlet access and no place to put it without cluttering the space. 

I followed the recommended screenshot directions but I couldn't fit everything in. So far I don't see a way to change resolution.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 317 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  mtueckcr - Sleep Journal mtueckcr 31 1,669 07-22-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Sleep position affecting sleep test AHI/OSA classification Fox66 7 429 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 8 973 05-21-2024, 03:06 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 5 558 04-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 509 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 483 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.