Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What’s your breath rate at night?
What’s your breath rate at night?
Hi!

I use Sleeptracker AI from Tempur-Pedic to track my sleep and since I started therapy my breath rate went up from AVG of 18 to 22-24 at night. I read that everything over 18 is really high and over 24 shows you are having a major cardiovascular event in the next 24 hours and now I’m freaking out. Or is it normal to breathe faster on CPAP? I attached a Sleeptracker report from last night to this post. I’m just really concerned now. How is your breath rate per minute under CPAP?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What’s your breath rate at night?
Thank you for posting that.  From my research, between 12 or so and 20 breaths per minute during sleep are considered normal (and even that can vary some).  

The CPAP could possibly be contributing to the higher respiratory rate.  But using CPAP produces more good than harm the vast majority of the time.  

One thing that looks promising is your heart rate chart during sleep.  Very steady.  Not many spikes upward or downward.  Spikes up and down could be indicative of something abnormal.  

I am not a Dr.  You can show this to your Dr. or whoever provided the CPAP machine for more input also.

And lastly, the device that you are using (and devices like it) is usually not 100% accurate all the time either.

If you want to post an OSCAR to compare the results that would be great also.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, yes, I actually have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and will go over the data with him. I just reviewed the data again and I realized the breath rate went up since my last COVID infection. This might rather be a case of long COVID than CPAP related
Post Reply Post Reply
I think mine is between 8-12 while resting. Yes I do have lung disease.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are concerned, talk to your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Knowing that Resmed calculates respiration on the flow rate frequency crossing the zero boundary, I wonder how your device calculates the respiration rate. In the Resmed case, snoring, coughing and sneezing can affect the accuracy of its reporting. I would not trust your device's information until you have verifiable proof of its accuracy, but that's just me.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird Flow Rate Pattern Started 3 days ago Dodies 2 74 09-30-2024, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Dodies
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 12 1,152 09-24-2024, 11:36 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Newbie to OSCAR - why mask leakage rate is so high thanh.oz 1 153 09-22-2024, 06:37 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Two Questions - Flow Rate is UARS Dodies 5 420 09-16-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Leak Rate Questions in OCAR MrPsyduck 5 349 09-10-2024, 05:25 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Flat-topped flow rate slatejetpack 8 410 09-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: slatejetpack
  Leak rate question weepingwillow 32 1,470 09-08-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: weepingwillow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.