Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User: change distilled water daily?
RE: New User: change distilled water daily?
Distilled water is a cleaning convienance.
Tap water is usability convienance.

Pick your convienance.

So long as you have drinkable tap water, distilled is not a medical necessity. There are many countries were distilled is not redibly available or cheap and everyone there uses tap just fine.

Where I live we have great tap water with very little minerals. I use new tap water every night, rarely clean tank, and never have to descale. I'm on my second tank in over 5 years of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
@everyone who mentioned a side cover.

I don't use humidification either but was wondering where you are buying side covers and why? Wouldn't just not putting water in the tank suffice?
Post Reply Post Reply
For the A10 series, I found mine on Amazon. It was the least expensive place at that time. I don't know if one is offered for the AS11. You have the choice of leaving it empty or just filling it with water to have a pass-over type humidification. Leaving my A10's tank empty, acted like an amplifier for the air sound. In either case, make sure that all settings are off or at the minimum allowable settings.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2023, 04:36 AM)Sleepy Quixote Wrote: I don't use humidification either but was wondering where you are buying side covers and why? Wouldn't just not putting water in the tank suffice?

Using an empty humidifier is functionally equivalent, but a side cover offers the following advantages:
  • smaller footprint
  • better for travel, more sotrage in case
  • one less thing to fail
  • less noisy
  • can't accidently heat up an empty tank

But it's no big deal to just go with an empty tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson Nape and Dog Slobber! You turned that ah ha lightbulb on for sure. If it will reduce some of the noise I'm getting in line at the side cover store.
And to avoid hijacking the tread I agree with all of those who just use tap water and clean the tank regularly. That's all I did when using it, will probably be using it again this winter as our RH drops to around 30% during the winter.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always used distilled water only, with my old CPAP machine, and same now with my new AirCurve 10 VAuto. Typically the tank lasts for 2 days, and that is when I just refill with distilled water. Once a week, I rinse the tank with cold tap water, and clean it by adding baby shampoo bi-weekly.

Might not be what's usually recommended, but I'm still alive.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the side cover for my aircurve 10, and found it noisier than just leaving the tank in with no water. Everyone is different I guess.  
Remember to turn humidity level to zero if you are using a climate tubing.  You then can set the temperature of the tube to whatever you like.  I turn it to have cool air.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water and just add water as needed.  Every week or so I try to do a good cleaning of the mask, hose, and tank.  Our tap water with some minerals that are difficult to remove so I really want to avoid any mineral build up.  i don't find using distilled water to be a hassle unless I'm travelling.  After reading the posts here I may try tap water when travelling - thanks.
Duncan
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2023, 08:49 AM)yankees123 Wrote: Remember to turn humidity level to zero if you are using a climate tubing.  You then can set the temperature of the tube to whatever you like.  I turn it to have cool air.

Hmm, I'll check that. I am using climate tubing, but also have humidity set to 4 (out of 8).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask change? lonigan 10 449 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Change Resmed's "day" from noon to midnight? jefferyscott0 1 184 09-26-2024, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed 11 Water Chamber cyburns1 10 1,755 09-26-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Caked Residue In CPAP Water Reservoir, Is It Normal? Kamryn 3 268 08-30-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  [CPAP] RedMed10 Water Chamber question Joe Bezz 26 6,766 08-23-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: jtardo
  9 months in with no meaningful change johnald 7 391 08-17-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: johnald
  Mask Change - Big Difference? mark.apnea 4 411 08-14-2024, 07:28 AM
Last Post: mark.apnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.