Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Problems on Mac Sonoma 14.0
OSCAR Problems on Mac Sonoma 14.0
After years of working just fine, OSCAR now gets stuck in a loop when "Loading Summary Data" or "Loading Session Data" on my Mac.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times, and it appears to load ok. There are the usual security questions, and it starts out just fine - until it doesn't. 
I have disabled virus protection, VPN, etc, with the same lack of success.
Perhaps OSCAR doesn't play nicely with the latest MacOS update? I am running Sonoma 14.0.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
 Data
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR stuck in loop on Mac
You are not the first to experience and report this using Sonoma 14.0.  As I understand it, Apple is notorious for changing permissions without any notification.  Please reference this thread: OSCAR stuck on opening

Also, I would like to change the title of your thread to, "OSCAR Problems on Mac Sonoma 14.0", if it is alright with you. I know you will not be the last to experience this.

First my disclaimer, "I'm the village idiot on a Mac".   Big Grin

I would look at the permission settings on your Documents/OSCAR_Data directory.  Not knowing your computer knowledge, I'm going to be a little basic in my description below.  

Nomenclature:  
File/Directory permission listing: r = read, w = write, x = execute
These permission levels are expressed as a value r = 4, w = 2, and x = 1 to set them to on.  To read and write would be: 4+2 = 6, read-write-execute = 4+2+1=7
Order of a file's permissions: Owner-Group-Others - each of these categories has the 3 permissions listed above.

Mac Terminal Commands (all commands are executed by pressing the Return/Enter key)
Open a Terminal and change to the Documents directory:  cd Documents

OSCAR_Data/Profiles Permissions for a Mac
[b]ls -l OSCAR_Data/Profiles
= drwxr-xr-x (755)   (The "d" stands for "directory")
(The "-l" is a lowercase "L")
Meaning: Owner(7) = read-write-execute  |  Group(5) = read--execute  |  Others(5) = read-execute

List with the read-write-execute format: ls -l  

Listing the OSCAR_Data directory;  ls -l OSCAR_Data
 pad Result:
padpad drwxrwxr-x 2 cn staff 4096 Jul 24 12:00 layoutSettings
padpad drwxr-xr-x 7 cn staff 4096 Oct  8 09:47 logs
padpad -rw-r--r-- 1 cn staff 3351 Oct  8 09:47 Preferences.xml
padpad drwxr-xr-x 6 cn staff 4096 Sep 24 15:05 Profiles
padpad -rw-r--r-- 1 cn staff 365 Sep 11 16:50 profiles.xml

To list permissions only by octal value:  stat -f "%OLp OSCAR_Data"  
Result: 755

List both r-w-x and octal:  stat -f "%Sp %OLp %N OSCAR_Data"
padpad drwxr-xr-x 755 OSCAR_Data

Command to change permissions
sudo chmod 775 -R OSCAR_Data
* This will allow both the owner and the group to have complete access to these files.  In case the Mac has given OSCAR a different owner or group designation, you might try using the value, 777.   This will allow everybody complete access to this directory.

* Linux users reading this:
padpad On a Linux box, the default permission settings are drwxrwxr-x (775) on the OSCAR_Data directory
padpad The stat command options are different for a Linux box.  
padpad A Mac does not have the "ll" command, thus you have to use the "ls -l" in its place.

Let us know if this helped or not.

Good luck!

- Red[/b]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Problems on Mac Sonoma 14.0
I went ahead and changed the thread title to better reflect what the OP is explaining.

I think Crimson Nape's suggested title of "OSCAR Problems on Mac Sonoma 14.0" is more descriptive & appropriate here.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi - My MacBooks have run Oscar with no issues through multiple Mac OS upgrades. Oscar is a fantastic piece of code. I will always be super thankful for what Oscar and the board have taught me.

I would like to upgrade my current 2023 MacBook M2 Air to Sonoma 14.1 but am worried given Crimson Napes permission instructions above. Needing to change permissions as Crimson Nape describes is beyond my capability. Is it ok to upgrade to Sonoma?

Thank you for being there!
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I just "accidentally" upgraded to Sonoma and had to reinstall Oscar, but it worked fine after that.  (The upgrade itself took forever, and my external disk disappeared for a while.  I'd wait if I could.  But everything has been fine after initial issues and several reboots.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Having problems with scrolling issues. If i expand my flow rate chart to show individual breaths at say a 5-10 second view it is very difficult to scroll through the chart. The charts will not scroll left or right without jumping around or it scrolls in the opposite direction. Also scrolling up and down to view other charts is very erratic. Anyone having these issues or have a solution ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Problems on a Mac daBee 5 434 07-11-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: daBee
  GMT+1 problems bassy 7 716 06-09-2024, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Hmm888
  OSCAR and Font Problems cpapuser20 5 487 05-27-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Version 1.5.2 Problems flipmike 13 1,380 05-16-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  OSCAR Install Problems on Win 11 Pro [SOLVED, post #36] chzuck 35 2,599 05-08-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: chzuck
  Won't load profile - Sonoma 14.4.4 MacBook Pro breathingwell 2 505 04-22-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: kderevan
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 455 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.