Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

OSCAR Results 1 week in, can someone tell me what is going on?
OSCAR Results 1 week in, can someone tell me what is going on?
I've been using the airsense 10 for about a week now, and I'm noticing I'm having the same thing happen every night, an AHI around 5. But it's not evenly spread out, it's all of a sudden one burst where it's all in a short amount time. Any clue what is going on here?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Results 1 week in, can someone tell me what is going on?
You seem to be experiencing the trifecta of mask leaks, positional apneas, and settings that may need adjustment.

I anticipate someone will be along to have a look at your settings. They aren’t my skill set.

Positional apnea is where your neck gets kinked for some reason or other and blocks your airway. Your unit interprets this as obstructive apnea and rushes in to address the situation with higher pressure. Alas, your sleep position cannot be adjusted by pressure, as you can imagine. So, you get to work on it yourself!

Look up positional apnea on the apneaboard wiki for orientation to the problem. Then do some analysis. “Could my chin be dropping to my chest for some reason or other? Is my pillow too high and causes me to look in the direction of my navel? Am I sleeping on my side and my head flops off the edge of my pillows? Am I sleeping on the couch? Is my dog sleeping on my neck?” You will come up with the relevant answers after a little think-through. Then, you get to work on changing them!

Then, there’s the mask leak item…mostly a pain in the butt task, but everyone’s gotta do it. You may find that it’s related to your body position, or you may find that the mask doesn’t fit you well. If you can respond with some observations, one of the gazillion users here with an F20 will likely have tips. Also, is this mask comfortable for you? This is long-term therapy: you’ll want to get it right.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Am I sleeping on my side and my head flops off the edge of my pillows? "

I know I'm 100% doing this because I'm sleeping on the edge of my pillow b/c of the mask, I'm including another day which this happens in case this helps with whoever else comes along.

As far as mask size goes, I had the f20, but found it a little small, so they subbed it out for the Mirage Quattro, which might be a little too big now?

Here's a few ago too:

Post Reply Post Reply
So glad your dog isn’t sleeping on your neck.

Stick with a chart for the whole night for now. First work on macro issues, then micro. You may find that the granular anomalies evaporate once the all-important trifecta settles down. So, yep, the biggies first.

The last 15 minutes or so of the night tend to look excited for most people, I reckon. Generally, this is nothing to be concerned about. You may recognize it as “I held my breath when I reached for the snooze button” or “I had to get my dog off me, and I forgot how to detach myself from the hose, and was pretty much a mess in my half-asleep state, and I forgot to breathe.” I’m sure you’ll come up with a likely story that accompanies the row of purple pins.
Post Reply Post Reply
This has already been stated but I will emphasize the positional apnea. You are having positional apnea.  You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  Getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.  Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.

On the last night posted, it could be positional apnea or just waking up.  We usually see grouped events upon waking but again it could be PA.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing I can think of that I did differently was purchase this pillow:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084R77J83?psc...ct_details

I do notice I am sleeping on the very very edge of the pillow, I'm thinking I need to lower the height of the pillow so I can sleep in the middle and not have my head come off it? Maybe?
Post Reply Post Reply
When you're on your side, sleep with the mask off the edge of the pillow, otherwise it will get knocked around and cause leaks. You need to have a higher pillow if sleeping on your side than on your back, because the height needs to be shoulder width. Try some different positions while you're awake 'til your get a feel for the "no kink" night. You could even have someone take photos of yourself in different positions, so you can see the issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'll give this a try and if I'm still having issues maybe come back in a week with some new charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Stacey that a soft cervical collar will likely be what will solve the positional apnea problem, especially with a pillow as high as yours.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on my side every night, I have a folded blanket to keep me on my side, it controls my positional apnea quite well.  Although, about once a month I will evidently roll over on my back for for a short time.   Then my chart looks like yours except for the leaks.
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Results Help Napnea4 4 99 09-07-2024, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question [CPAP] Oscar results - How can I improve on this further? nomosnow 4 214 09-05-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 15 1,401 09-03-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New User 1 week, still high AHis, thoughts? JacksonMahoney 4 158 08-31-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Confusing WatchPAT One results jordybug 1 118 08-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improve stabilize results jquintero 3 202 08-29-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: jquintero
  [CPAP] (OSCAR) Results of first night with CPAP machine dnserror 1 158 08-29-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.