Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oral Mandibular Device causing dry mouth
Oral Mandibular Device causing dry mouth
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get help with anyone else that has dealt with this issue.  I have mild apnea and my doctor prescribed me an Oral Mandibular device because I was not able to tolerate a CPAP due to an ear dysfunction I suffer from.

I started using the Mandibular device few days ago and it has caused severe dry mouth with absolutely no saliva when I wake up in the middle of the night.   I know that I am not breathing in or out through my mouth because I have been taping my mouth closed every night.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do?  Will my mouth get adjusted over time and start to produce saliva again with the mouthpiece?  

Thanks in advance for the help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oral Mandibular Device causing dry mouth
Nice to meet another oral appliance user on this forum. At least I know I am not the only one.

I think you are experiencing dry mouth because you are new to the device. As you said, you are mouth taping so you know mouth breathing can't be the reason. I think over time as you get more used to it the dry mouth should cease (although from what I've read it can persist). I have experienced it at times myself, although thankfully it is not an issue for me now. I mouth tape as well, but I use Myotape, so my lips can part a bit if need be.

I might recommend doing some breathing exercises that stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system before you turn out all the lights. One sign that the parasympathetic nervous system has been activated is saliva in the mouth (perhaps one reason it has been referred to as the "rest and digest" response, as opposed to the sympathetic nervous system being dubbed the "fight or flight" response. In addition to generating saliva in the mouth, these exercises are great for ones health, and also a fantastic way to quiet the mind to be able to fall asleep easier).

If you are interested, check out Patrick McKeown/Buteyko breathing/coherence breathing/heart rate variability. Tons of stuff on YouTube.
Post Reply Post Reply
This page also seems to have a lot of useful information:

https://www.ihatecpap.com/oral-appliance...appliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a MAD for a year, and my dry mouth got better over the course of a few months. Unfortunately, the semi-permanent jaw displacement got worse as I used it, and I eventually abandoned it for CPAP and later nasal surgery. Jaw went back to a more natural position over the course of a month or two, so that was good. Your experience may be different, but that was mine.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found Xylimelts to be a wonderful solution to dry mouth with my CPAP machine. They might help in your situation as well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 11 389 Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Last Post: SeePak
  I think my mask is causing eye bags when I wake up cpap4uars 15 11,153 09-12-2024, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Jstalez
Question [CPAP] Mouth Farts and Exhale Block KsKisser 2 162 09-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What was your experience fighting mouth leaks? PersonInNY 13 391 09-12-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  pattern in high resolution mask pressure in resmed device rberry1 1 132 09-11-2024, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Shut but Still have dry mouth/throat jmr8749 10 2,068 09-01-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: nomosnow
  DRY MOUTH WAKING ME MCS2014 14 2,247 08-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: MCS2014

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.