Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poor sleep quality
Poor sleep quality
Hi,

i am hoping if someone could check my OSCAR data to determine what settings would be best for me. I have had a ResMed Airsense 10 for 3 years but still have poor quality sleep, I average around 10 mins deep sleep a night and wake up several times a night according to my Apple Watch. I left the settings on default until last week as I was unaware they could be changed. Please see attached data for 3 nights. Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Poor sleep quality
I recommend the following:

1. Reduce the max pressure to around 13 and maybe keep reducing it.
2. The high pressure is likely causing the leaks. The leak goal is "0" with minor exceptions.
3. Make sure that you do not open your mouth. Again excessive pressure can cause this problem.
4. If the above does not help with the leaking then tape your month shut.
5. Turn EPR off. It can cause a lot of problems and solves few it any. If you do not want to turn it off, reduce it 1 number per night. Your breathing will likelly improve; the less EPR the better.
6. Are you using ResMed's P10 Pillow Mask? I used this brand of mask for years until it they started leaking (tried multiple P10s; with the same results) and I had to switch to another brand to stop the leaks. No idea why P10's worked for years until they didn't anymore.
7. Expand the Flow Limination line so you can see each breath. I will bet that you will find many obivous apneas that are NOT being flagged by your machine. If so, your real AHI may be much higher than calculated. Missing events is not unusual. Notice your good breathing periods. They will probably be best when the pressure is lower.
8. Finally, after fine tuning your results, then switch your machine to CPAP mode at the pressure determined above. APAP can cause problems and really is not needed once you get good numbers. A fixed level will improve breathing, and likely reduce leaks, and increase comfort.

A lot of things can cause problems. You have to become a detective to find all the AHI landmines. Good luck. (BTW - - All of the above itims are based on my experiences,)
Post Reply Post Reply
What I would consider leaving EPR 3 full time on. You're dealing with flow limits, and in my opinion you'll need EPR 3 to give you bilevel like treatment.

You have some occasional leaks that want to be watched.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
the first thing most of us point out is that obstructive apnea is caused by obstructions. obstructions are caused by something in the flow path or relaxed throat muscles allowing throat to collapse during sleep or sleeping in a way that chokes off the air supply. it can be a combination of any or all of these.

sleep can be disrupted by obstructions, but also sleep can be disrupted by noise, being shaken, tickles, heat or cold, having unsolicited limb movements or mask leakage, or some other atmospheric or environmental conditions.

sleep may not be restorative, you sleep seemingly well, but the body and/or mind seems to deteriorate.  The type of sleep needed you may not be getting. (you reference low percentage of deep sleep)

I wouldn't start on sptrout's list until you figure out positional apnea (sleeping in a way that chokes off the air supply) and leakage (if disturbing).

You can turn on the event count for VS (snoring) as well to see a mark when that occurs.  That can indicate when throat partially collapses to the point of vibration even if you don't stop breathing.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum slabsi Smile

Looking at your pressure range and your 99.5 percent pressure you'll likely sleep much better on a bilevel machine. Resmed's EPR at max is a pseudo bilevel therapy but it's not going to be the best for you-I'd really consider looking for one - I will DM you. I would neutralize the leaks by sleeping on your sides on a flat pillow with another one to use as a wedge between your chin and chest (to prevent chin tucking). I would also like to see you on a narrower band of pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the recommendations. I followed sptrout's list and felt I slept better, I had a lot less wake ups but still low deep sleep.

I did also have large leaks throughout so it might be time to try a new mask. Are they any recommendations, I would prefer a nasal pillow type mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
None of your leaks are high enough to interfere with your therapy and especially with your low AHIs I wouldn't worry about them at all.  I suggest that for now, you bump your starting pressure to 13, as your last two median pressures are at least that high.  Leave your upper setting where it is.

With your ongoing high flow limits and sometimes maxing out at the highest pressure your machine offers, I think you need to look into getting a ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto, the very best bilevel machine.  I was able to get my regular doctor to prescribe it for me, with help on this forum from SleepRider.  If your doctor prescribes a different type of machine, your insurance will cover it even if it's not 5 years old. Here's a link to my thread on this in case you want to check it out:

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...ts+bilevel
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(Yesterday, 12:03 PM)slabsi Wrote: Thank you all for the recommendations. I followed sptrout's list and felt I slept better, I had a lot less wake ups but still low deep sleep.

I did also have large leaks throughout so it might be time to try a new mask. Are they any recommendations, I would prefer a nasal pillow type mask.

That's good, can you please generate a new chart as well?  I can't use nasal pillows since I'm a mouth breather and cannot tape or handle a chin strap-there are others here though that have tried most of the nasal setups and can offer good advise Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 260 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71
  Suggestions to improve AHI and sleep quality Nykkuno 1 214 07-24-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Sleep quality excellent when I'm not in my own bed. High CAs? matt2 2 243 07-13-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Help optimizing my AHI and sleep quality dahaupt 12 707 07-11-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Inconsistent Sleep Quality with BiPAP Titration - Seeking Advice Gettingbetter33 3 254 06-22-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Sleep position affecting sleep test AHI/OSA classification Fox66 7 392 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  [Health] Low AHI but poor sleep. Thinking about Supplementation Velderes 5 299 06-17-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: Velderes

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.