Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA
RE: Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA
If you've been to an ophthalmologist and had the eye drops that dialate you pupils and the flashlight in the eye, you're probably fine.  It's obvious to them what's going on.
There is a dye test that they can do to see if you are still "leaking" (I wasn't, or at least not anymore when I went to the doctor) and a topography mapping device that will show the bulge from the side.  Not many treatment options other than trying to reduce stress.  My cortisol was probably really high during that time.

I had central serous retinopathy (CSR), it manifested as distortions (straight lines weren't straight in one eye) and a focus disagreement between my left and right eyes so my eyes would "argue" constantly.  It was tough to look at TV or computer monitors with both eyes open.  Only my left eye was impacted, but fairly badly, I still have a slight distortion just below dead center that I sometimes notice, and one off to the left I can really only pick up on an Amsler grid.  CSR is when fluid builds behind the retina and pushes it up, like a blister.  In my case it left a "wrinkle" or two behind.
Any of that sound familiar?

If there were any headaches during that time it was likely due to the distortions and focus disagreement.  I'm not sure I've ever had a migraine, at least how it was described by other people.  When I'd get a headache just closing both eyes for a bit would bring relief.

My events were always worse after long business trips likely because I was so tired from all the travel that when I got home I really tried to pack in the ZZZs, which made the REM dominant apnea much worse, and so on.

If I hadn't figured out what was wrong I would have continued to damage that eye.  It's also probable that it would have occurred in my right (dominant) eye.

Because of all of this, I was going to get CPAP working or "die trying".  Since then I've lost so much weight I had to adjust the seat on a car I hadn't driven in a while.  I sleep much better at night, with far fewer bathroom trips.  I went from at least 4 a night to 1.  When I started, my Airsense would record occasional apnea events, the more tired I was the more likely I was to have one or more.  OSCAR is great for picking apart the apneas and seeing what is going on as well as the device response versus "Your AHI is 0.8".  Now that I'm about a year in I've had weeks at a time with no apnea events at all.  I've never missed a night of treatment and I plan to keep it that way.  For me the risks are so high that I'll do just about anything to keep a CPAP running and on my face.

Having an engineering background, I looked at my data in OSCAR on nights when I'd had a drink or two and nights when I'd had none.  I could tell from OSCAR without looking at the journal.  That was enough for me.  I can do a drink every other week and not notice it.  I haven't really closed in on "how much could I have" because once I saw that it drove longer duration and more frequent apneas I was done.  Not worth the risk.  Your mileage may vary, but I'd strongly recommend keeping your data and reviewing it in OSCAR to see if it impacts you as much as it does me.  Everyone is a little different.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA
No, nothing like that. The only things that I've noticed vision-wise are weirdness in the very edges of my visual field that bear no irregularity after further scrutiny, some floaters that have been moving in and out of the center of my vision so they become more or less noticeable, and one time some flashing spots in the right side of my field of view in a dark-ish room. Eye doc dilated me allllllll the way up after that one and said there isn't anything going on in the eyeball itself (as of this past January).

I'm in engineering as well (you're sure we're not actually related?) and looking forward to getting the Airsense 10 and OSCAR so I can really delve into the details. It's just frustrating that I can't even order a CPAP with my own money without a doctor's signature, and my PCP wants me to go through the sleep center, but they won't sign a prescription because it's been three years since I was in to see them. After some phone calls back and forth, I ended up settling on a telehealth visit tomorrow with a PA at the sleep center for them to update and sign the prescription after touching base with my current situation. I am willing to consider this a formalized version of the "hundred dollar handshake" so that I can get into my possession the tools required to take control of my own treatment.

As for alcohol, I have personally noticed that it's not really the quantity, but the frequency which really drives how poorly I feel. In other words, one drink in each of four nights in a week is way worse than four drinks in one night. I'm also a bigger guy at 6'3" 200lbs so it doesn't seem like one or two drinks several hours before bedtime has much effect since the stuff is all burned away within a couple hours, but like you have also noticed, that would be wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need quick recommendation for nasal pillow mask NewlyDiagnosed 5 316 06-29-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 294 273,031 06-22-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Cape67
  [Diagnosis] CChelios445 - Therapy and Device Recommendation CChelios445 13 880 05-27-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 10 826 05-14-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  [Equipment] Any personal experiences with BMC Luna GII 2.4 Auto Machine Yuley 6 5,543 04-24-2024, 06:01 AM
Last Post: suncho
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 552 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 381 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.