Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV Motor Life Exceeded message
Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV Motor Life Exceeded message
I woke up this morning and found the message "motor life exceeded, contact your vendor" on my Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. I contacted Resmed and they said that my machine can stop working tonight or a few months from now. 

I live in Mexico, my doctors and in the U.S., and I have medicare insurance. I tried calling my doctor in NY to get an emergency appointment to see him and a sleep study so that I can get my ASV replaced. I was told that the next appointment was August 23. I told them that was rediculous, I live in a high altititude and have cardiac conditions. I cannot wait that long. I told them that this is an emergency and asked for the doctors to call me back. I d that if I didn't hear from them I could call up to a given time for status. I called and was told that the doctors had left and they would call me first thing in the morning. They said they sent another reminder so that they would have three reminders in the morning. 

I would definitely want to have the sleep study done in NY so that I can maintain my current doctor (I think, if he returns my call) and be covered by medicare. I am also trying to find out if I can rent an ASV here until I can get an appointment.

I took my old CPAP out of storage and found that it still seems to work. I will have to look at my ASV history to try to guess the setting.

Has anybody had any experience with this message and have an idea of the approximate life expectancy of an ASV machine with this message?

Thank you for all your help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV Motor Life Exceeded message
Why do you need another sleep study? Just ask for a new prescription for a replacement ASV.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for replying. I asked the doctor about my 5 year replacement ASV at my last appointment. They told me that medicare required a sleep study to replace the machine. I  was leaving NY shortly after my appointment and didn't have time for the study.
Post Reply Post Reply
They lied. You ought to be able to prove through doctor visit notes there's an ASV treatment currently working. No new study required by Medicare. But doctor would love to make you pay them for one. Just say no, process a replacement please, or you get replaced.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I Googled the question about needing a sleep study. Apparently you don't need one for for a CPAP, BIPAP or APAP (HSPC E0470 and E0471). An ASV is classified as a ventillator (HSPC E0466) and might require one. I intend to ask Medicare directly.

I hope you all are correct. I would still need to  go to NY for one or 2 days. The doctor's office said that I have to physically be in NY to get a prescription.

Thank you for responding.
Post Reply Post Reply
ASV may have the V for ventilator, but it's not within the ventilator class in HCPCS E0466, or I could have been switched to full ventilator 4 years ago.

Here's the HCPCS classification E0471, bilevel backup rate non-invasive interface equals ASV or ST devices.

HCPCS Code for Respiratory assist device, bi-level pressure capability, with back-up rate feature, used with noninvasive interface, e.g., nasal or facial mask (intermittent assist device with continuous positive airway pressure device) E0471

A bit extra:

The HCPCS codes for the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV and AirCurve 11 ASV vary depending on the model:
AirCurve 10 ASV: HCPCS codes include E0470, E0471, E0562, A4604, and A9279
AirCurve 11 ASV: HCPCS codes include A7037, A7038, A7046, E0471, E0562, and A9279
The HCPCS code E0471 refers to a respiratory assist device with bi-level pressure capability and a backup rate feature. It can be used with a noninvasive interface, such as a nasal or facial mask
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband is still on a Resmed 9 Bipap and its duct tape will only do so much life left. The doctor ordered an Air Curve 11 ASV as he said the 10 may not  be supported much longer. 
Can you tell me how you got medicare to cover your machine? Our pulmonary has found it impossible without sending patients for multiple tests that had to be done at the hospital and still denied by medicare. We bought the machine ourselves.

My husband has an internal morphine pump and central Apnea. 
The only thing I can find for sale  is the Air Curve 10ASV. 

Wish you well, the old nine we have has been a real work horse. Machines seem to be made cheep now.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the aspect of ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV, I'd not be a bit concerned about support. It should not matter. ResMed rarely does any firmware updates.

We can assist in setup, etc. if necessary. Just create your own thread and members like myself will be glad to assist. I had used the 10 series ASV for a few years before COPD Asthma hindered therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ryleeann, 

I am basically an end user of the ASV, and have no real knowledge. I have no idea why your husband was refused coverage. I  worked through my doctor and went through the same process as your husband. My doctor had me take a sleep study, he reviewed the results, sent his prescription to a DME along with the sleep study results. The DME got it approved by medicare prior to delivering the machine. The only guesses that I can think of is that medicare didn't think that he needed an ASV. Did they recommed a different machine? The only other thought would be the internal morphoine pump, but your doctor would know if that would diqualify him from coverage. Does your doctor have any ideas about why his coverage was rejected?

You can find Aircurve 11's at many on line stores, you can Google the aircurve 11, or try calling different stores and ask for it. I would call Resmed if you have any concerns about continued support for the Aircurve 10.

I also wish you and your husband well, good luck with medicare. I know that they are getting much stricter now.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV will be supported throughout its useful life. It was only very recently replaced by the 11 series, and many users continue to prefer the 10. Even the Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt can be fully refurbished for a very reasonable price at Supplier #28. They will replace the motor, replace seals, and reset the hours back to zero for under $300 plus shipping. Service takes about one week.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Mod Note] Are There Any Aircurve 11 ST ot ST-A Users? Crimson Nape 2 86 10 minutes ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed Aircurve 10 VAUTO turning itself off and on throughout the night?? 17WRX 4 139 09-29-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  acquired an aircurve vauto 10/self titrating eok361 9 397 09-26-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: eok361
  How should I set up my AirCurve 10 Vauto Josephkpc 14 553 09-25-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AHI very high after switching from Dreamstation to Aircurve 10 mu50256 16 798 09-23-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: mu50256
  Aircurve 10 ASV kbjames 5 265 09-21-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: kbjames
  Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV: Central Apnea Not Relieved RVSleeper 50 2,260 09-13-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: RVSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.