Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rough First Night
RE: Rough First Night
Thank you, Sleeprider, for taking your time to answer!

Entered Clinician Mode
Scrolled to Essentials and selected PLUS (it was not selected)
From last night, here are the numbers from the screen:
Pressure: 7.0
AHI: 0.3
Total AI: 0.2
Central AI: 0.1
(Keep in mind that I did not get much in the way of actual sleep last night).

Settings...
Max Pressure: 20
Min Pressure: 5
Ramp: Auto
Start Pressure 4
EPR: Off
Humidity Level: 4
Tube: Slim line (I actually have a ClimateLineAir, so I don't know if this makes any difference)
AB Filter: No
Essentials (changed to Plus)
Smart Start: Off

Because of the burning smell, I purchased a generic, replacement CPAP tube that is not heated. So if I use that tonight, I suppose I will have to change a few more settings regarding the Tube.

I am guessing based on what you describe above, that I need to set my EPR to 2 since my average pressure was 7. Then, I suppose my minimum pressure should be 6? Very confusing...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2017, 08:22 AM)Anaja09 Wrote: I am going to the DME store this morning to buy a non-heated tube if they have one. If not, I will thoroughly wash the one I have and also turn the tube temp way down tonight and see if that will help.

Let me know how it goes. I don't believe it's the hose.

I believe it's just "new electric smell", but it is quite alarming. Now that someone else has the same problem with the same vintage unit, at least I don't feel crazy. But, dash it, if this isn't the most annoying thing when you're just into a big life step.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2017, 02:06 PM)Anaja09 Wrote: Thank you, Sleeprider, for taking your time to answer!

Entered Clinician Mode
Scrolled to Essentials and selected PLUS (it was not selected)
From last night, here are the numbers from the screen:
Pressure: 7.0
AHI: 0.3
Total AI: 0.2
Central AI: 0.1
(Keep in mind that I did not get much in the way of actual sleep last night).

Settings...
Max Pressure: 20
Min Pressure: 5
Ramp: Auto
Start Pressure 4
EPR: Off
Humidity Level: 4
Tube: Slim line (I actually have a ClimateLineAir, so I don't know if this makes any difference)
AB Filter: No
Essentials (changed to Plus)
Smart Start: Off

Because of the burning smell, I purchased a generic, replacement CPAP tube that is not heated. So if I use that tonight, I suppose I will have to change a few more settings regarding the Tube.

I am guessing based on what you describe above, that I need to set my EPR to 2 since my average pressure was 7. Then, I suppose my minimum pressure should be 6? Very confusing...

Anaja, you had GREAT! results for a first night.  Comfort now becomes your goal.   Let's change minimum pressure to 6.0 and EPR to Full Time at 2.  Nothing else needs to change.  This should make the pressure feel less intense and may relieve the aerophagia by giving you lower pressure during exhale.  Fortunately, you do not have an apnea problem, even at low pressures.  I would like to wait to advise on maximum pressure, but if you want to set 12 as maximum for now, it should not affect anything. There is a good chance that these settings will have you at 6/4 to 7/5 most of the night.  That should be lot more comfortable than 7/7.

I think tubing settings are automatic. New tubing sometimes gives off some residual plastic odor that disappears after several days of use. Rinsing the tubing with a weak lemon and water rinse, and then a clean-water rinse usually gets rid of odors. (some people suggest vinegar, but I'm not too fond of smelling that).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well thank you, Sleeprider. I don't know how good it was since I only had about 5 minutes of sleep here and there. So I don't think the AHI number is an accurate depiction.

I have changed the numbers accordingly, and I have washed the heated hose, the humidifier tank, and even wiped down the heating plate of the A10A itself. I also have that non-heated hose now and an SD card.

We'll see how the night goes!
Post Reply Post Reply
The good news? No acrid hot plastic smell with the unheated hose!

The bad news? I fell sleep in bed without the mask on, woke in the middle of the night, put the mask on. So, I only had therapy going for about 2.5 to 3 hours last night. *sigh*

So, well, I figure I'll wait until I have a better night using the device before I post any data.

@HalfAsleep: Hang in there! It seems some folks take to this right away, and for others it takes several weeks. I'm in it for the long run. I figure I won't change any settings for at least a week to see how it goes. I may switch back to the heated hose tonight, let the device run for a while before going to bed and see if the acrid odor returns.
Post Reply Post Reply
A suggestion I saw in another thread to keep the power adapter away from the machine, may be a solution to the "hot" odors.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2017, 07:34 AM)Anaja09 Wrote: The good news? No acrid hot plastic smell with the unheated hose!

The bad news? I fell sleep in bed without the mask on, woke in the middle of the night, put the mask on. So, I only had therapy going for about 2.5 to 3 hours last night. *sigh*

So, well, I figure I'll wait until I have a better night using the device before I post any data.

@HalfAsleep: Hang in there! It seems some folks take to this right away, and for others it takes several weeks. I'm in it for the long run. I figure I won't change any settings for at least a week to see how it goes. I may switch back to the heated hose tonight, let the device run for a while before going to bed and see if the acrid odor returns.

Try putting the power brick on the floor. It seems like hocus pocus but it might just have worked!

Thanks for your little encouragement to me  Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw that suggestion as well, so I made sure that the 'brick' was on the floor. The device is 24 inches higher on the night stand.
Post Reply Post Reply
I managed to sleep, sort of, for about 6.5 hours last night using the CPAP, so I think of that as a minor victory in itself! I switched back to the heated hose, and the acrid smell returned--although not as intensely.

Woke up pretty congested, so I may have to turn the humidity up a bit. All-in-all, I think I'm going to get the hang of it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2017, 09:42 AM)Anaja09 Wrote: I managed to sleep, sort of, for about 6.5 hours last night using the CPAP, so I think of that as a minor victory in itself!

Give yourself more credit. Significant victory!
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow [Symptoms] Having a very rough night Soundman73 14 907 02-06-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Soundman73
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 707 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 1,064 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 1,154 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Rough couple nights Mike3ga8 1 590 08-29-2022, 09:09 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New user - overall good results but last night rough djpax13 3 714 08-01-2022, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Rough start Kephus 8 1,355 01-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Last Post: stanleydean

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.