Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN?
SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN?
What is the point where supplemental oxygen is recommended and supplied under Medicare? 
Does anyone use tanks or do they use oxygen concentrator?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN?
In my understanding, if a patient has lung disease like COPD, their oxygen level needs a boost. If the oxygen level is recorded as under 89% for 6 minutes, supplemental oxygen would be indicated. As for the type, bottles or concentrator, then it comes down to how much of the day oxygen is required and if the user is disabled in such a way so as they're not able to carry bottles.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I got mine it was 88% or below for 5 minutes (that was at least 15 years ago) and if you met that they gave me a concentrator and bottles incase there was a power outage.  I still use the concentrator with a long tube.  The concentrator is in another room of the house and I don't hear it running at all.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
srlevine;
When I was diagnosed with sleep apena, My Dr. said I was a border line case for supplemental O2 at night ..
I believe My Dr. said O2 dropping to or below 88% for 10 minutes made Me eligible for supplemental O2 ..
I do not have lung or heart disease .. Just sleep apena .. I am retired and on medicare .. We talked about
using an O2 concentrator at night only .. Medicare would pay for the concentrator ..
I decided against it because of noise and space limitations .. Living in a 5th wheel I
have no room for the concentrator .. Like a cpac/apap machine there would be minimum use restrictions ..

For over night use I don't think O2 tanks would work very well .. I would expect needing a 80 cu. ft. tank for
over night use .. They are large and heavy approaching 150 lbs. or more ..
If someone already has breathing problems moving them would be a real chore !!
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks all. -- Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oxygen with Airsense 11 Auto Sleepy Willy 8 181 10-20-2024, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New to all of this and would like help with my overnight oxygen test results Shannon80 1 137 10-16-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross SP02 blood oxygen drops spo2 6 307 10-06-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  recommendation for Oxygen measurement eggplant7 1 161 09-29-2024, 09:07 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  ASV with Oxygen Drops, leaks and aerophagia redking2436 7 449 09-20-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Camping with CPAP & oxygen??? dkrakel 0 167 08-24-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: dkrakel
  Oxygen and ResMed Mini dkrakel 4 338 08-16-2024, 01:25 PM
Last Post: dkrakel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.