Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying CPAP again
Trying CPAP again
I had a sleep study done in 2014 and was diagnosed with mild OSA. This was not a big surprise as I knew something was going on. My doctor prescribed me a CPAP machine and I was given a Respironics System One I believe it was. I attempted to use CPAP for about 2 weeks, and finally gave up. I couldn't really fall asleep with the mask on and the one time that I did I woke up to find that I had removed it not long after I fell asleep. So between all the compliance phone calls (the cellular connection wasn't working) and the fact that I couldn't use it I decided to give the machine back. I think I still ended up paying out of pocket for something but this was awhile ago.

So last winter I decided to buy a ResMed S+ sleep monitor. This is a neat device that measures your breathing with radio waves and is able to tell when you are awake, light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep. I used this device for a few months to monitor and to confirm I was still having issues. The app assigned me a sleep score based on my sleep quality and on average my sleep score was in the 60-80 range. I know the score is mostly meaningless but it did help me determine how bad my sleep was. I had a couple nights where it was in the high 90's, but for most nights I could see on the graph when I was awake and when I was sleeping. I figured the awake portions was most likely apnea events, but I could be wrong.

Anyhow I have decided to try CPAP again and purchased the machine outright this time (Dreamstation Auto w/ humidifier) so I won't be harassed by compliance and have that worry in the back of my mind. I have 3 masks, one is an Airfit F20, a dreamwear nasal, and a dreamwear full face (should be delivered tomorrow). I like the dreamwear nasal the best because I tend to be an active sleeper and it is the smallest mask. But I unfortunately cannot seem to fall asleep with the mask on. I am going to try the dreamwear full face and hope that perhaps I will have better luck. I know I need the proper mask to succeed with CPAP and considering my quality of sleep I am determined to make it work this time.

I have read that it takes some folks many months or even over a year to get used to it, but I am hoping it won't be the case. I found this forum over a year ago when I considered CPAP again and signed up. I have Sleepy Head installed and ready so I can post my data (should I finally be able to fall sleep) and have everyone help me fine tune my pressure.

Any advice is surely welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying CPAP again
That's the spirit!  It's in your best interests, so might as well tackle it again.

I don't know that it takes months to get used to any given regimen, but it can sure seem like it one weekend...and you know what I mean.  As we used to be told early in my military career, it's all about one's attitude; the more you want something to happen, the more trouble you'll go to in order to achieve it.

I hope you manage this time, and I wish you success.  Between the correct treatment protocols and actually feeling rested and comfortable, that's what PAP is meant to be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try wearing the mask during the day while your awake. This will help you get use to it and once you become comfortable wearing during the day there will be less chance of you taking it off at night.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2018, 05:29 PM)Skrimps Wrote: I have read that it takes some folks many months or even over a year to get used to it, but I am hoping it won't be the case.

The biggest issue with masks is experimenting to find the one that works for you. I spent a few months trying different masks before I found an answer in the older ResMed Mirage Activa LT nasal mask. It took me approximately three days to acclimate and that was mostly fiddling with straps to stop leaks. I used a Sharpie marker to mark my strap positions so I could replicate them rather than guessing. It also served as a benchmark to let me know if my headgear was stretching and kept me from overtightening my mask.

BTW: After you have a few months of data, you might want to present it to your doctor, ask for comments -- and thus sprinkle some "officialness" over your efforts should anyone like the insurance company inquire. 

Best of luck for a good night's sleep and a better tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.