Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice request. How do I talk to my doctor?
Advice request. How do I talk to my doctor?
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and was put on CPAP about 12-15 years ago. At the time I weighed 350+ lbs. I lost 205 lbs, no longer had sleep apnea and stopped therapy.

About five years ago I moved to high elevation. About a year after moving I began talking to my doctor about constant fatigue, depression and weight gain. During the course of several blood tests to figure out what might be going on, he put me on antidepressants, added supplements where blood tests indicated, but nothing was helping. We also learned that apparently my body didn't like the lower oxygen and responded by increasing red blood cells. While this is a normal reaction when one moves to high elevation, my body wasn't leveling out like it should and when I reached erythrocyotic levels, my doctor became concerned, suspected sleep apnea and ordered an at-home sleep study. The results boiled down to negative for sleep apnea, but possible UARS. I asked my doctor about looking further into sleep/nighttime oxygenation because it makes the most sense when you factor in the OSA history, move to elevation, fatigue, depression, weight gain, etc., but he declined and instead referred me to a hematologist. I begrudgingly made the appointment for a month in the future and in the meantime put myself back on CPAP without prescription and consulted with you fine folks for appropriate settings. (which have made a huge difference! Thank you!)

As of today, I have been on self-prescribed CPAP for a total of about 2-1/2 weeks. I met with the hematologist this afternoon. I explained the CPAP and my most recent CBC from this morning shows both my hemoglobin and hematocrit down to almost within normal range. My hematologist agrees that this doesn't appear to be a hematology issue and has referred me to pulmonology.

I'm worried that the pulmonologist will put too much weight on the one-night sleep study and not enough on the weeks worth of data I will be able to provide with blood tests and CPAP data via OSCAR. Is there any way to use the CPAP to record events without therapy so I can give a more rounded picture with and without therapy? Does anyone have any advice about how to talk to the pulmonologist to present my case so I can get prescription for therapy that is both subjectively and objectively helping, so insurance covers it?

Thank you for your help!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice request. How do I talk to my doctor?
No, there isn't any way to use the CPAP to record a no pressure scenario. The minimum pressure is 4cm, so that's as close to no pressure as you can obtain. From what I understand, most current CPAP users having a new sleep test usually abstain from treatment for at least 4 days prior to testing.

Good luck!
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for advice for my settings Vyce 3 166 09-01-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Trouble with flow limits, doctor won't help ChickenTenders 7 411 08-21-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: ChickenTenders
  Seriously Need Mask Advice: Please Help LuminousOne 7 348 08-13-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 27 4,607 08-10-2024, 02:47 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  OSCAR Analysis Request harryd91 4 367 08-09-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: harryd91
  Does New Doctor Need to Know I Tape My Mouth? TiredOne789 3 302 08-04-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: TiredOne789
  New to CPAP, request for help with settings. Miles3zd3 0 163 08-04-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Miles3zd3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.