Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched from ASV to Bilevel, Odd Cheyne Stokes Respiration Patterns, Any Thoughts?
Switched from ASV to Bilevel, Odd Cheyne Stokes Respiration Patterns, Any Thoughts?
Hello everyone,
I have just recently tried out a bilevel machine (Resmed 10 Vauto) as I have experienced ongoing fatigue despite using my ASV machine for nearly three years with a consistently less than 1 AHI. My reasons for trialing this machine was because I wanted to rule out the possibility that the ASV algorithm was contributing to my ongoing fatigue as it fluctuates consistently, perhaps causing micro arousals. In turn I tried out this bilevel for the first time last night (I fell asleep without it on for most of the night sorry), and checked the data this morning to find an extremely odd respiration pattern and wondered if anyone had any experience with what it might be/what is causing it. I should mention I am 23 years old, fit and healthy apart from diagnosed obstructive sleep apnea via a home study a few years ago. I was initially put on CPAP however, following the emergence of some central events and a lack of relief from my fatigue I was put on ASV, which reduced these events but not the fatigue. Thanks heaps for any help or comments in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched from ASV to Bilevel, Odd Cheyne Stokes Respiration Patterns, Any Thoughts?
It seems like you had much better results with ASV than this current VAuto set up.  The only thing you can try is to increase the "trigger" to very high and see if it decreases the tremendous amount of CA's that you are having.  

Sorry to hear about the relatively bad experience with ASV; but this chart from the VAuto is much worse.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched from ASV to Bilevel, Odd Cheyne Stokes Respiration Patterns, Any Thoughts?
Thanks Jay, yes you are right my data looks heaps better on ASV, I am now just becoming a bit depressed as it seems i will never completely feel normal as long as I am on ASV and was hoping bilevel would be the answer,  furthermore I am a bit concerned about this odd breathing pattern I have unveiled. Do you think this breathing pattern is worth seeking advice from a neurologist or is this relatively typical of a sudden change in therapy?
Post Reply Post Reply
What did your typical ASV charts look like? Settings? The ASV can be tuned to your needs.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is very high. Have you tried working on that? There are lots of great videos on youtube that explain what can be done to make it better. Many times apneas are directly related to leak rate. Also have you tried using a soft cervical collar to keep your chin from dropping and blocking your airway?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just switched to Resmed F20, have questions LyndMc 4 144 10-24-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  ac123 Treatment Thoughts/Help ac123 25 1,543 10-23-2024, 12:47 PM
Last Post: ac123
Question [Treatment] 5 years no relief, would appreciate thoughts FinnianWhitefir 0 115 10-20-2024, 07:37 PM
Last Post: FinnianWhitefir
  Switched to full face mask last night. Flow limitation increased obstructedairway101 13 454 10-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: obstructedairway101
  Switched to BIPAP JRTO808 10 491 10-04-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 664 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 114 14,547 09-29-2024, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Fixit50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.