Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Please Help
Please Help

Hello,

I've been struggling with CPAP for a while now. Can you guys look at my last 2 nights of OSCAR and maybe give me some insight? My home study showed middle apnea 10-17 ahi over 2 nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please Help
I saw this when I looked this morning, I’m sorry no one has answered. The problem is central apnea can not be helped with this type of Cpap. There are centalsthat start because your body needs to adjust to therapy - treatment emergent are this type while the other type needs a more expensive machine. There may be people that could determine which you have but I am not one.

I will mention that you do have some positional apnea and those can’t be help with any machine or pressure. It takes you to stop sleeping in that position. Sometimes it is to stop sleeping on high pillows.

Most positional apnea happens whe your chin drops to your sternum cutting off your airway. Think of it like a garden hose - if you get a kink in the hose it dose not help to turn on the water more, you have to get rid of the kink.

If something simple dose not work you will need a collar. I have a link to collars in my signature

One last thing the machine is NOT great at identifying centrals. Usually we ask people IF their sleep study showed centrals. It help identify if they are real centrals. You can post your sleep study (black out personal information) so people who can help you with central? Will see it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help... I'm working on my sleep positions, and added cervical collar. Here's last nights data any recommendations?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You turned off EPR, which was a good move. EPR can exacerbate treatment-emergent central apnea.

Without EPR, you're having more flow limitations. This may or may not interfere with your getting restful sleep.

I mention that only because I'd like to suggest that in another month or so, you try gradually re-introducing EPR. Start with just 1 and see how it goes. For reasons I don't really understand, the body does often adjust over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going from AHI of 21 to 2 is a real change. I would like to see how you do with EPR of 1 to help a little bit with the flow limits.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR ON question about potential sleep study
Hello Again,

My Doc wants to do an in lab titration study because I'm having hard time getting use to CPAP, and my machine data showing mostly centrals. After some feedback on my post I'm getting better results. What I'm questioning now is should I give myself a few more months or should a do sleep study right away? I'm leaning towards waiting because of time of year and not being able to get BIPAP if prescribed before end of year.  

I feel like I'm getting use to CPAP and I'm feeling better. Here's my last nights data I turned EPR on and I felt like it helped.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
"Hard time getting used to CPAP" and "showing mostly centrals" appear to be two different reasons for doing a titration study. Could you say more about why you're having a hard time getting used to CPAP? Is it uncomfortable? Does it make you wake up a lot? If it's uncomfortable, is the problem your mask? Your pressure? Or ... ?

I would wait, if I were you. Your reduction in EPR has clearly helped, and it looks as though your body is also adjusting in a way that reduces your CAs.

If you didn't find 0 EPR more uncomfortable than EPR of 1, you might go back to 0 for a while. That might get your CAs settled down more, after which you could try 1 again. Or you could just leave it at 1 if you prefer.

What is it about a bilevel machine that your doctor thinks might be a good option for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wake up a lot not being able to exhale against the pressure. I will say in the last few weeks it has gotten better, and last night with EPR turned on I didn't wake up from pressure at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.