Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Always use a hypoallergenic filter instead of the standard one.
Information 
Always use a hypoallergenic filter instead of the standard one.
I performed the following experiment: I inserted a standard and a hypoallergenic filter (both resporonics) siluteanously into the instrument. The standard (coarser) filter faced outside, while the hypoallergenic one was inside. Hence, the air first passes through the standard filter and then to the other one. 
After three weeks, the standard filter showed no discoloration whatsoever (compared to a new one). But I could see such an intense discoloration on the hypoallergenic one that I needed to change it. 
Hence, the standard one practically removed nothing. 

Background: I live in a 6-year-old home with air heating. The heated central air is circulated through a sizeable hypoallergic filter unit, which I change every three months.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Always use a hypoallergenic filter instead of the standard one.
Thanks for doing the experimentation. I've really wondered how effective those standard filters are.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no efficiency claim for a hypoallergenic filter, only that it is made of material not associated with allergies or sensitivity. https://www.healthline.com/health/allerg...c#overview  

If it gives you comfort to use something labeled as hypoallergenic, then go for it. Many members have mentioned more restrictive filters can affect therapy, but as I said, the filters labeled hypoallergenic do not claim higher filtration factors or higher or lower pressure drop across the filter.  If you don’t see a ASTM testing criteria, claims are simply a word the manufacturer has chosen to use. What we know is that the filters are mainly present to protect the internal components of the device, not air quality for the user.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2024, 04:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If it gives you comfort to use something labeled as hypoallergenic, then go for it. Many members have mentioned more restrictive filters can affect therapy, but as I said, the filters labeled hypoallergenic do not claim higher filtration factors or higher or lower pressure drop across the filter. 

I appreciate Sleeprider's insights about the lack of properly standardized filtration tests. However, anyone can repeat the test I described above and see the improved filtration efficiency of my/your "hypoallergenic"  filter. I agree that different manufacturers' filters are different; hence, you can make your own investigation and compare the filters of your selections. Then, pick the better one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why not try the filters the other way round and see what happens? If the Hypo filter is indeed removing more of whatever it removes, the standard filter should be clean.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2024, 08:41 PM)OttSteve Wrote:  If the Hypo filter is indeed removing more of whatever it removes, the standard filter should be clean.

Perhaps I was not describing the experiment clearly. The air was first filtered through the standard and then the hypo filter. Nothing was visible on the standard filter. But the hypo filter withheld a lot of contamination. 
The standard filter will remain clear if I change the filter sequence.
Post Reply Post Reply
And what are the specifications of the two filters? "Hypoallergenic" or not, a filter with a smaller pore size wil retain material that a filter with a larger pore size will not.  You have simply demonstrated that one of your two filters has retained material that the other has not.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2024, 09:48 PM)OttSteve Wrote: You have simply demonstrated that one of your two filters has retained material that the other has not.

This was precisely my intention. If you do not like it, then ignore it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to verify what SleepRider already mentioned. My therapy deteriorated FAST when using the hypoallergenic filters and the only logical explanation is the added restriction. Although I do not really understand, as I assumed the actual pressure/flow is arranged after the filter. but I can't ignore the impact I felt without expecting an impact. Please note that my experience is for a UARS case of a sensory very sensitive person and my therapy was (still isn't) not optimal back then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is a warning that some members should be careful when selecting filters.

In my case, using the different filters or the two filters together did not impact my treatment.
In addition to my OSA, I also have palatal prolapses, which I have been mitigating with positional therapy.    
In addition, I have been struggling with a congested nose, which causes flow restrictions and oscillatory breathing after 2-4 hours from the start. It interrupts my sleep, and then I go back to sleep, and the whole thing starts again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 7 12,820 09-12-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: donsburg
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 28 6,946 07-29-2024, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cleanable VS Standard tub, Resmed 11 Poolboy 5 474 06-15-2024, 06:11 AM
Last Post: charlie*M
  Autoset Standard or Soft for FLs? DavidAM 2 332 06-15-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: DavidAM
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 2,126 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 509 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 2,632 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.