Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy?
UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy?
In my search of good UARS therapy using bi-level I am currently focusing on ODI (Oxygen Desaturation Index) 4 % using a pulse oximeter (re-branded Contec 50 series). I do see a reduction at higher pressure, but wonder how far I have to go and what your typical ODI numbers are in relation to how well you feel. Getting 0 AHI and 0 leak is easy for me (typical UARS), getting good sleep is not, hence this new KPI I am chasing.

Example for me (I see this correlation for multiple pressures):

P 7,6/PS 5,0 (IPAP 12,6) = 18,5 ODI 4 % events/hr + risk of desaturation < 88 %.
P 10/PS 5,0 (IPAP 15,0) = 4,4 ODI 4 % events/hr + no risk of desaturation < 88 %.

It seems that I can still have limited desaturations < 88 % at IPAP ~ 14 or below. So it makes sense for me to stay > 14. It is too early to state if my subjective sleep quality has increased, but I am positive although CA's (TESCA) started to emerge at these pressures. I decided to stick to P 10/PS 5 (IPAP 15) for a while and see if the CA's reduce, if my ODI 4 % remains stable and if my sleep improves before changing a setting.

Any numbers out there for people with good and bad UARS therapy using bi-level?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy?
Great job figuring this out.  You have one tool at your disposal with the VAuto that can help prevent CA's.  It is the trigger setting.  Moving up to high (and better yet, very high) has shown to decrease CA's in many charts that I have personally seen here at ApneaBoard.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS: What are your ODI 4 % numbers with good/bad bi-level therapy?
Thanks Jay51, I am aware of the trigger settings. I used "very high" to get no CA's but often felt like driven over by an Abrams tank.......not good. I am now on "high" and although I have ~ AHI 5 in CA's I feel better than with AHI 0. I hope that my body is able to recover the coming days, if not, I will try trigger "very high" again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] What do the numbers mean? WarrenW 6 150 Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  UARS Treatment [Using Philips ASV] SenatorBirch 33 5,105 10-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  Uars/need help please Jlcdsc 1 109 09-29-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Pressure] Recently diagnosed with UARS and prescribed Bilevel. Need help with settings. cloudwalker 7 583 09-29-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Jlcdsc
  VCOM & Bi-Level MrIvanDrago 22 946 09-27-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Bilevel self-titration for UARS ChickenTenders 11 757 09-26-2024, 12:33 PM
Last Post: ChickenTenders
  Extremely fatigued despite good numbers major maser 3 264 09-19-2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.