Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What was your experience fighting mouth leaks?
What was your experience fighting mouth leaks?
From reading this board, I see that it's not uncommon to struggle with mouth leaks with nasal CPAP. Some people have improved their leaks by using a chin strap, taping their mouth, myofunctional therapy exercises, or just with the passage of time. But just because it's possible doesn't mean it's common or easy, so I'm curious what people's experiences are. Did you manage to defeat mouth leaks, or at least become able to sleep through them? How? How long did it take? Are you happy with nasal CPAP now?

Why I'm asking this: After using FFMs in the past, I'm trying to become able to sleep with a nasal mask. I've been able to sleep with a nasal mask for 1 to 3.5 hours, until I'm more and more disrupted by air in my mouth, and I can't get back to sleep. I think it might be getting better, but I'm not sure if my efforts here are likely to pay off. I tape my mouth shut (sometimes completely, sometimes partially). I don't use a chin strap -- I have one, but it won't keep my jaw any more closed than it already is. An ENT said nothing looked abnormal about my anatomy on visual inspection.

I attached an Oscar screenshot from last night. I believe I was partially awake during the so-called clear airway events. I think the sleep-disordered breathing is treated effectively; the problem is that I just can't seem to stay asleep with a nasal mask.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What was your experience fighting mouth leaks?
Your mouth leaks are not a large problem.  None were in the large leak category.  But to answer your question I had bad mouth leaks and used a full face mask and I never could control the leaks.  I read on this site of something called the tongue suck method.  All it was sucking my tongue to the roof of my mouth.  As soon as went to sleep my tongue would drop and I was mouth breathing again.  But as the post said that you have to train your tongue to stay on the top of the mouth.  I did it all day any time I though about it and after about 3-4 weeks I found my tongue on the roof of my mouth all the time.  It did stop my mouth leaks, after full face masks, taping the mouth.  I not longer have a mouth leak.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience; I'm so glad this worked for you! I've tried the tongue suck method a little, but I bet I need a lot more practice.

My leaks are a problem because l can't sleep through them for long. My mouth is also really dry, and I imagine that would be bad for my teeth in the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply
A soft cervical collar that is tall enough can help some in keeping the jaw from dropping open a lot during sleep.  It has to be comfortable enough to be sustainable long term though.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I have very much enjoyed the use of a travel pillow for the past 6 weeks. |Relegated my old pillow to the sidelines. Travel pillows work better than cervical collars for me, turn them 90 degress and they keep your chin from tucking and also provide the support needed for sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a Bleep system, very similar to a nasal pillows mask.  With both, I had bad mouth leaks.  I couldn't get tongue sucking to work for me. Eventually, I went to mouth taping.  That's the only thing that works for me.  If you decide to tape your mouth lots here like Cover Roll Stretch tape or Hypafix, both of which work very well.  I use Theraband Kinesiology tape as I find it more comfortable and better able to fit my facial contours.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Dodie, I actually bought a travel pillow hoping something like that would work. I can't envision your setup, though. Do you orient the pillow like a C, a U, or an upside-down U? Where exactly do you put your head? Do you sleep on your side?

I've tried using a buckwheat pillow and put a big dent in the middle for my head so I can't open my jaw. That didn't stop the mouth leaks, but it did at least keep my jaw from moving.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too tried a buckwheat pillow but it did not help with positional apnea.  I then used a soft cervical pillow, then decided to try something else. I bought a child size pillow that has a raised front and back edge, and that has worked perfectly for me.  I recently saw a pillow on Temu that is adult size and looks like it would also work very well.  In case you are interested, here's a link:

https://www.temu.com/1pc-tpe--gel-pillow...3bsexwc5wh

Sorry, I forgot this thread is about mouth leaks, not positional apnea.  Bag-head
Post Reply Post Reply
I managed over six hours of nearly uninterrupted sleep with the Bleep last night and got up feeling fantastic! My leaks were about as bad as the night before, but I made a couple changes that may have improved comfort: I used xylitol to make my mouth less dry, and used a porous mouth tape that allowed air to slowly escape. (I used impermeable tape before but found it even more disruptive, because air got in my mouth regardless and had nowhere to go.) This breakthrough came just in time, since I have a mask-fitting appointment with my DME today, and now I know to ask for a nasal mask.

I plan to try using the CPAP while I'm awake and have my mouth open to practice tongue positioning.

Deborah K, no need to apologize -- I appreciate a good pillow recommendation, since I am trying to keep my jaw in a good position even though I don't have positional apnea. That one looks great since it could fit in a suitcase, and being hollow, it wouldn't aggravate my dust mite allergy. What's the child-size pillow you use? I've tried cervical/ergonomic pillows in place in the past, but most are too big to be comfortable for me (I'm 5'2").
Post Reply Post Reply
The child size pillow I use is no longer made, but I noticed that Temu also offers a smaller pillow like the one I mentioned yesterday.  I will warn you that my pillow is a lot like both the Temu pillows, and I love it but although these pillows are hollow, they are surprisingly heavy, much more so than any regular pillow.  I take mine when I need to sleep elsewhere because it is so wonderfully comfortable, but it adds weight to your luggage, that's why I mention the weight.  Here's a link to the smaller Temu pillow:

https://www.temu.com/1pc-cooling-gel-pil...aef95ogwwi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI of 1, but still sleepy, napping, dry mouth yngwiej 12 448 5 hours ago
Last Post: yngwiej
  CPAP Newbie - Waking All Night With Mask Leaks Embeeous 13 224 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Leaks with Brevida pillow mask Ticman1 6 3,732 09-14-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: 40plus
Question [CPAP] Mouth Farts and Exhale Block KsKisser 2 177 09-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  anyone had turbinate reduction surgery and not experience Empty Nose Syndrome? sleepingbetterinFl 4 231 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Gross Huge leaks after hours of low leaks JoeSierpinski 8 277 09-06-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Struggling with leaks Resmed F40 Karatechop 12 2,074 09-04-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: JPB430

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.