Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

White/Brown Sound?
White/Brown Sound?
I hope this is an acceptable topic to discuss here?
I've been a CPAP patient for over 30 years and longer than that before I was diagnosed. 
Lately, this past year or two, I'm having trouble falling asleep initially and after using the bathroom during the night.
I've read some positive results about playing sounds like ocean waves, rain & thunder among many others, can help you to fall asleep. 
I have the sounds I prefer, downloaded to a USB 3.0 Flash drive, but my problem is, I don't have any way to play these sounds in my bedroom. I was thinking about buying a kinda cheap radio/walkman thing but I don't want to spend a lot and of course, I want the sound quality to be acceptable.
Does anyone on this forum have any suggestions or personal experiences, that can provide me with some direction in this matter?

Thanks  Dave  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: White/Brown Sound?
My mother has slept with a box fan running next to her bed, not to circulate air or anything, just pushed up against the bedframe to churn up the air and make noise, for decades. At first she started it to drown out my old man's snoring, but once he got on CPAP it was just a habit by then.

If you want something more "natural" than the drone of a box fan and have a USB drive, there are tons of options under twenty bucks that will play the sound. You can also look in the baby aisle for a cute little elephant or monkey that will do the job for you, works on my kids for sure.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you please give me some examples of Quote: "there are tons of options under twenty bucks that will play the sound". I've did some searching but I need a more exact description of what I'm looking for.
Thanks for your timely reply.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
You can find sound generators on the internet for ipads and I would imagine for most smart phones for free.  I some times use either white or green noise, sometimes it works other times not so much.  
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! It seems that I forgot to mention that I don't have a "smart" phone.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a smart phone with YouTube, there is a great selection of calm night music that can play in a "loop".

Maybe worth you investigating.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. As I've mentioned above, I don't have a smart phone.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks: I'm still shopping. OMG, so many players with so many options.  lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which CPAP machines do not use sound abatement foam? flogger 8 9,130 07-18-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 587 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 419 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 2,275 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
  [Equipment] White Noise Generator Sleepster 9 1,046 11-13-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] AirSense 10 beep or ding sound Baklash 0 709 07-30-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Baklash
  Constant air leak sound but leak doesn't show up in software shanky 2 1,078 02-05-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: shanky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.