Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central apnea and EEG
Central apnea and EEG
I have used a CPAP for about 20 years. I have central Apnea not Obstructive Apnea. I am interested in a device that could measure my EEG waveforms and display them on a Windows PC. I wanted to compare the Alpha, Beta, Theta, and Delta waveforms with the data from my CPAP as shown on my PC by the OSCAR software. I wanted to get insight into my breathing problems. There are several headbands that measure EEG waveforms including MUSE S (Gen 2), and The Brain Sensing Headband and Flowtime: Biosensing Meditation Headband. These headbands seem oriented toward Meditation not sleep studies. Do you think this is a good idea or a waste of time? Does anyone know of a reasonably priced device that could help me. An OSCAR screenshot is attached. Thanks for your input.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central apnea and EEG
Welcome to Apnea Board,

You have two things going on. The request for EEG being your question, first. I'm not certain, but it might be available at a much higher price than you're willing to pay. I guess the question is why you'd feel the need?

Second, you say you have Central Apnea, it shows, so why aren't these treated? Your ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is not a Central Apnea treatment machine. The ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV is the right one. You can only attempt to avoid CA with your AutoSet, and it's plain to see that it can't.

So where is your sleep study? What did it show? The diagnosis? The event chart and count is most useful.

Alternately it's possible this is Positional Apnea, due to the clustering, but that's not a given.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can better help you if you format your Oscar chart differently.  We don't need to see a closeup, as you show unless someone asks for it.  It's better to see the full chart.  If you use the F12 key to copy the chart it will put things in the correct order.  Just make sure we can see to the very bottom of the flow limits. Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your comments. I agree with your comments. My house is at 1100 feet elevation, I am now on vacation at 10,000 feet elevation. The apnea is much worse at a higher altitude. In the past I have received better reported results by raising the pressure settings. As I get older 76 the apnea seems to get worse.

I have apnea-type breathing when I am awake I thought central apnea is a neuro problem, not a physical problem, knowing the brainwaves could give me a better understanding of my situation.

I had a sleep test over 20 years ago, but the results have been lost. Today I made an appointment with a neuro who is also board-certified in sleep apnea. Hopefully, he will help.

I agree with your comments on the machines, I think I should have the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. I have had many generations of ResMed machines and the capabilities have increased greatly. If I need an ASV machine hopefully I can get one with the help of my new doctor.

I will research Positional Apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's probably real Central Apnea, so consider the Positional Apnea as a low maybe, but not definite. I think if you are a patient with whichever doctor would be willing to listen, talk about Central Apnea and that they're needing treated. A new sleep study or Titration via requesting would show them, sleep study revealing they're present before CPAP, Titration revealing they're present during CPAP treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hey Mark

there are at-home tools that you can use to measure EEG, and every year better products seem to come out. What you could also do is just run literal level-2 type sleep studies using EEG leads every night, depending on your level of motivation.

As mentioned above, you're not on the right machine. It might be more fruitful / worth your time to first switch to the appropriate therapy and then get involved with measuring your brainwaves.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV: Central Apnea Not Relieved RVSleeper 50 1,904 09-13-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: RVSleeper
  Feeling bad despite all of my attempts.. And.. Central apneas. Preparedinho 39 1,782 09-10-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 26 4,534 09-09-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Treatment Emergent Central Apnea mikesj 13 638 09-09-2024, 07:10 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  central apneas after treatment none before jquintero 17 524 09-02-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Equipment] Central sleep apnea - titration study didn't work blossom 1 179 08-30-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sleep study- Very high AHI with Central Sleep Apnea and multiple hours of CSR. Help. JoshO71 2 244 08-27-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: JoshO71

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.