Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive
RE: Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive
The last post I was trying to convey that the ASV will pace your breathing patterns and rates, something like a rolling past 3 minutes or so. If you mask up breathing fast, ASV attempts to mimic that and it'll possibly play havoc with you.

As for the setting edits, I said what I did because I didn't have any chart data, and didn't want to diminish overall IPAP, but was trying to shift the EPAP and PS about. I found that the short bursts that make up PS were easier for me to handle them high EPAP.

Also EPAP deals with your Obstructive based events, while PS is the combat tool for Centrals and somewhat the Hypopnea.

On ASV, please ignore the flow limits graph. The ASV algorithm likely will give you sometime bad looking FL, but it's the result of the Central Apnea based treatment algorithm. The ASV doesn't work against FL.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry forgot to add about the pressure, if you need to edit them down, try EPAP Max and PS Max of 10 for each. You doing want to reduce things too much without knowing if it'll hinder therapy though.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Dave.

I did manage to get some sleep, but I seemed to be semi-conscious for much of the night, aware of the PS trying to take my breathing from barly-enough-to-stay-alive to a level that my body or subconscious or whatever was resisting. I changed the settings a few times based on levels of discomfort and eventually got up feeling drained but unable to sustain even the modest setttings I ended up with without the air buidling up in my mouth.

But hey - the Oscar chart looks sensational compared to my recent ones! Up until now whenever someone presented a chart like this to the forum with some sort of complaint that they still didn't feel great on waking, I'd be thinking oh please! get real - I would give my right arm for figures like that! But as my sleep doc said, don't obsess too much over the figures: it's how you feel that counts. I guess that applies equally to whether the figures are good or bad.

I put my WellUe O2 ring on in the middle of the night and was reminded that my erratic heart rate going down into the 30s could be a factor contributing to feeling groggy even after sleep - something I hope to get some action on when I see my cardiologist at the end of this month. Meanwhile, I'll keep going with the ASV.

Finally just a quick question on FL... when you say "the ASV doesn't work against FL" I took that to mean that it doesn't combat them, yet my overall figure is closer to zero on the chart than it's ever been (despite an inexplicable number of spikes - I'm sure I didn't remove my mask that many times!) I wonder if you could please expand on what's going on with the FLs. It does feel like the PS kicks in every time my breathing gets a bit shallow, not just when an 'event' is imminent, so maybe it's obliterating potential FLs in the process? Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply
I for at least myself would probably consider lower FL on ASV as a by-product at worst. My FL were pretty low as well when on ASV. Anything my body can do to be extremely unique, it seems to find it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll take that as reassurance that the therapy is working! Every bit of positive spin helps with this journey. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
tcinoz, I'm not on ASV yet but I developed a similar problem where I felt awake the whole night. It got better when I improved my pressure, felt good for a while and then at some point regressed. Hope ASV will make it easier to find a sweet spot. Your pressure is already high relative to mine. Hope you get it right at some point, this awake the whole night feeling is awful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Alwyn. Yep, it's a wonder that eventually I can get up and feel I've had enough sleep. I guess all the little uninterrupted bits add up!

Another fairly restless night for me but I'm already getting acclimatised to the ASV despite lots of 'arousals' from 3 am onwards (which is nothing new). At least now the CAs are being zapped before they take hold, and I can feel the difference in blood pressure and anxiety levels during those periods when they were at their most disruptive.

I wish you well in your own quest for restful sleep. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dream Station 2 Suddenly Using More Water Douglas Racer 5 179 07-07-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  2 Months In For CPAP Treatment - Getting Centrals airwaywarrior 6 437 05-30-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: airwaywarrior
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 18 1,016 05-26-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  buying a machine for centrals. jerry1967 6 395 05-18-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Machine settings (Centrals/Paradoxical/FL) Brastic 5 328 05-15-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Brastic
  I was doing good progress but suddenly can't take it anymore Elijah1220 5 486 04-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 327 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.