Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

lexmz31 - Therapy Thread
lexmz31 - Therapy Thread
I am now on my 3rd cpap mask and NOT doing well. I can fall asleep with the mask on, but wake up within 60-90 minutes and cannot fall back to sleep. As soon as I take the mask off I'm asleep in 30 seconds. But the not wearing the mask is NOT my goal! How can I go back to sleep once I wake up? 

I am a side sleeper, but sometimes sleep sitting up with a great wedge pillow that supports my back. My machine is an AirSense 10 Respond and my mask is Philps Respironics DreamWear Pillows. The mask is the least invasive I've tried. I am VERY claustrophobic. 

Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated! Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hard time falling back to sleep
Hello, 

To be able to help you, we will need to see some data from your Airsense 10. This data is contained in an SD storage card in a side slot

Firstly you need to Download Oscar

Tben post the following graphs
  1. Events
  2. Flow rate
  3. Pressure
  4. Leak rate
  5. Flow limitations
For help on these please see  Attaching images, files and posting charts. and Oscar chart organisation

It may be an idea to browse on some previous postings of members to get an idea what is needed. 

Come back to us if you need further help on the above steps.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hard time falling back to sleep
Some people tape the mask to their faces so they will notice that they are pulling it off.  You don't want to get into the habit of removing the mask or it will be very difficult to make the adjustment needed to sleep every night with your machine.  Sleeping with a foreign object attached to your face and having air blow up your nose can be a difficult adjustment.  When you wake up, you just have to decide that you are not going to remove the mask, get into a comfortable position, and wait to fall asleep.  It may make for some uncomfortable nights, but it will be so worth it in the long run!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
More tired than ever
My ENT discovered that I have chronic sinusitis which resulted in inflamed vocal cords and inability to breath through my nose. He thought it best that I stop using my CPAP machine until this problem is resolved. I started using the machine in March 2024 and never had good compliance though I tried hard to make it work. For the past week, my fatigue has dramatically increased. I wake up more exhausted than ever. I'm frustrated because it will probably be at least six weeks until my dr figures out if all the meds he put me on worked. I was always a morning person and now I find it hard to get through the day without a short nap. If anyone has any recommendations on how I could feel less fatigued I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to double check that the new meds I started are not contributing to my fatigue. TIA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More tired than ever
It may simply be that your mouth is opening while you sleep. You may also have a humidity setting that's not working for you. Perhaps it’s making your nose stuffy. There are ways to address these things.

However, data and precise info is vital for help.

1. Collect all the info from your machine, and write it in your account settings so it appears under your avatar. Exact wording: many machines have similar names. If you’re not sure about pressure, have a close look. It’s important for you to know your way around your machine.

2. If you have an SD slot in your machine, get an SD and insert it.

2a. Hook yourself up with all your gear during the day while reading or watching TV. This is to get you used to the feel, get a sense of leaks, etc.

3. Download Oscar and use it to read your sleep info every night.

4. Sleep at least a couple of nights.

5. Post your Oscar charts here, using the protocols on the Wiki.

You will get help from there.

Incidentally, if you can’t breathe through your nose, you’ll need a full face mask. Also look at a hybrid. I use a Resmed F40 and love it. My mouth does pop open sometimes, and I don’t use my nose 100%. After working at it, my mouth doesn’t run dry very often.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More tired than ever
I no longer have the machine. I was in my first 90 days for Medicare and did not want to pay for a machine I was not using. I am very claustrophobic and a full face mask will not work. I could barely tolerate the nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: lexmz31 - Therapy Thread
lexmz31,

I combined your two threads. Should you decide to revisit Cpap use, your history is here is this one thread.
Good Luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 31 963 1 hour ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [split] TinySteve - Therapy Thread TinySteve 14 680 09-26-2024, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 3,001 415,046 09-26-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: btreger
  evanms17 Therapy Thread evanms17 24 1,349 09-24-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: evanms17
  MadFox - Therapy Help Thread MadFox 17 840 09-24-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: MadFox
  [Treatment] somniosus - Therapy Thread [new user looking for initial settings advice] somniosus 1 124 09-22-2024, 03:50 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Fantasieimpromptu - Therapy Thread Fantasieimpromptu 12 347 09-21-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Fantasieimpromptu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.