Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

long time user , new problems
long time user , new problems
    ][attachment=67017          Good afternoon.  I am new to the board.  Long time cpap user but new to Oscar and. trying to understand data. My history.  diagnosed with a fib about 9 years ago. 
went through sleep test.  Came back sever events over 70.  Have been using cpap machine since that time.  For the most part have been able control events,  depending on altitude any where from 3 to 9.     Suddenly about a month ago events jumped to as high as 30,  most times over 25.  Tried pressure settings, auto fixed , changed epr.  Tried different pillow , no help. 
read about cervical collar,  worked great for a couple of nights,  3.5,4,7, than started climbng to the teens.  Not smart enough to read and understand Oscar...  

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: long time user , new problems
It is difficult to say what is happening with all the leaks. Is that typical? If it is a recent phenomenon, what changed?

Some things to consider…
  • When is the last time you changed you mask cushions?
  • When did you last change your headgear?
  • When did you last change you hose and water chamber?
  • Assuming the mask is sized correctly as you have used it a long time, what else has changed?
  • How long have you had the AirSense 11? Was it is a recent acquisition? Is that when things changed?
A soft cervical collar can help with positional apnoea and mouth leaks, but it must be correctly sized. I have attached a chart that helps figure out what should work. I am not sure they are mouth leaks as yet, but something to hold in reserve if needed later.

For pressure, things look a bit off. Try the following:

Mode APAP
Min pressure 9
Max pressure 15
EPR 3 full-time
No ramp

You are spending most of your time right around 9 anyway, so we are just bumping up the top end a bit to see where it lands.

Your flow limitations are quite high as well. That, coupled with the leaks, are driving the pressure higher. It is possible you will need a bilevel to get more pressure support and trigger controls. One step at a time though.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Where do you see leaks in those charts? I see lots of CSR, but the leaks are essentially zero.

Post Reply Post Reply
In the leak graph. 

The CSR’s may be periodic breathing, but it is hard to tell without a 2-3 minute zoom. Pick one or two and zoom in.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks changed pressure to 9-15.  Will try that first.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a different take on the problem.  You are still having positional apnea.  You have a collar but it is not adjusted correctly or it is the wrong size.  The main measurement is the distance of the chin from your sternum.  That is the correct height of the collar you need. Or maybe it is your chin slipped down past the collar.  At any rate look into your positional apnea.

A note as to the cpap and detecting centrals vs obstructive.  Sometimes the cpap does a poor job or detecting centrals.  It is much more reliable in the sleep lab to identify central apnea with all of the wires and chest belt to determine if you are trying to take a breath (obstruction) or holding your breath (central).  All the machine does is give a number of small bursts of air and if the air is not returned it is considered a central.  So many may not be detected correctly.  So please take a look at Positional as being a problem and rule it out as a cause before you do anything else.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think the leaks are a problem. None of them are high enough to interfere with therapy. On the left panel, they are listed as 0.00 and 0.01 because they are too low to affect therapy. Positional apnea was present all three nights and was particularly bad on the 7th.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks gang, good catch. I had too many windows open and was confused on the charts. Got two threads mixed.

Back to the positional, which may or may not be affecting the cluster of CA’s. Start with a flatter pillow, then a properly sized soft cervical collar. 

The following link shows what an SCC can do to help.

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cal_Collar
Post Reply Post Reply
                Thank you so much to those who replied.  I have very flat pillow now. I am using the collar, and I think i have it adjusted better.  My obstructive events are down but ca's are still a little high.  I can feel the difference in the morning now. feel alive again.
Sunday oa 1,17 ca 4,10
Monday oa 1.98 ca14.7
Tues  Oa 3.7r  ca 7,38

Again thanks to those who have helped.  Any  additional advice would be appreciated,
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you have a lot of CAs in your sleep study? If you don't know, could you post a redacted copy of your sleep study? If you don't have it, your doctor is required by law to provide it to you.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 year on CPAP, still tired all the time joelin02 2 224 09-02-2024, 06:35 AM
Last Post: AshSF
  First Time Poster, need advice for new machine! kbjames 7 377 08-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How long does the OSA episode needs to be? americanesku 2 126 08-26-2024, 12:37 AM
Last Post: americanesku
  Trying Bilevel for first time - need help! sleepquality 4 311 08-18-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: sleepquality
  Minute long obstructive apnea with cpap on middleofnowhere 27 868 08-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  First time user. I purchased an F40 hybrid mask? Joeyk74 6 339 08-02-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Symptoms] Sleep paralysis every time I use my CPAP DoRaCh79 5 2,356 08-01-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: jaguarman9991

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.