Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Newbie Needs Help with Pressure
Newbie Needs Help with Pressure
Howdy y'all:

newbie here in need of help. I recently got an Airsense 11 following a sleep study that showed that I have mild OSA when supine and in REM. The doctor had my pressure set to 5-15. 

I started looking at changing my pressure as I would get woken up in the middle of the night with this uncomfortable air bubble sensation in my eye. After doing some research it seems like I have LDAR. I went to my clinician and she had me try 5-10, with a full-time EPR of 3, which stopped the LDAR, but decreased the quality of therapy. It felt better than before CPAP, but worse than when I was 5-15 with EPR ramp only. 5-15 leaves me feeling well-rested, with a substantial difference compared to before therapy, however I wonder if there is room for improvement. 

I switched it back, but the eye sensation is present again. I have been reading up on minimum pressure and wonder if my range is too broad. I downloaded OSCAR, but am not sure if I am looking at all the right things....from what I can discern maybe my pressure should be something like 7-12?? I have played around with other pressure variations....didn't feel well-rested compared to the 5-15. Perhaps the 12 will stop the LDAR and the increase from 5 to 7 will help prevent events? 

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Needs Help with Pressure
Part of the conflict is Ramp of 4 with you starting at min pressure 5. Consider no Ramp. It shouldn't be necessary at this low level.

Second and third conflicts:
The pressure Min 5 EPR 3, it can't do EPR until pressure increased to 7. It's physically impossible to have EPR reduce below 4, the physical low threshold of your CPAP. You probably need to start at 7 min.

Your EPR is Ramp only. Make it full time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Needs Help with Pressure
Most of the pressure jump are from something other than "events". The pressure hikes are correlated with the higher flow limitation. The posted chart only has excursions up to just shy of 11.0. Getting used to EPR for you may be a challenge, so start slow. I would try min at 7 and max at 12, EPR full time, and EPR set at 1. This should not feel much different that you most recent nights. I would use the new settings for at least 3 days before deducing any meaning to the scores. If you get a positive feeling and see any reduction of flow limitations and pressure spikes, you can always increase the EPR to 2, again for a few days straight.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paying for supplies - newbie BlueSky1958 6 293 10-17-2024, 03:32 PM
Last Post: TiredOne789
  [CPAP] Trying to make sense of my OSCAR data (newbie) aardvarkpineapple 1 163 10-15-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [CPAP] Waking Up - Newbie Help lowlyradar 3 267 09-30-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: R750R
  CPAP Newbie - Waking All Night With Mask Leaks Embeeous 37 1,505 09-26-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Embeeous
  Newbie: CA events alangrima 3 258 09-25-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: alangrima
  [CPAP] Newbie to OSCAR - why mask leakage rate is so high thanh.oz 1 213 09-22-2024, 06:37 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Sad [Treatment] Newbie: can't stay asleep longer than 1 hour with mask on KianaBeth 8 369 09-17-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.