Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

qt9998 Therapy Thread
RE: why air in mouth?

Started using a full face mask a few days ago.  Last 2 nights managed to get over 4 hours.  
But that seems to be the only improvement.  As you can see from attached screenshots from
last night, AHI still as high as before with other masks.  

I'm trying to get a titration test arranged but my doc is in no hurry.  My guess is I will have
to increase pressure quite a bit to get AHI down, but I'd appreciate any suggestion from you all
as to what I can do in the meantime.

P.S. Air in mouth no longer a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI 21 CLEAR AIRWAY 17
Started on full face mask after trying N30 and P30i.  Today was first time I logged more than 4 hours.

What's the explanation for Clear Airway of 17?  My sleep study AHI was 54 so AHI 21 is improvement but
still a long way to go. 

Any suggestions on what to change welcome!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI 21 CLEAR AIRWAY 17
Do your other threads go into the nature of your centrals? What is causing your centrals?What other settings have you tried and what were your results? : Without knowing the answers I'd only be gue#ing. I do know what I'd be asking you to do if this is your initial post.

I'm going looking for your other posts and I'm likely to suggest merging your threads.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI 21 CLEAR AIRWAY 17
I'm back from reading your other threads.

The UA events were apparently CA events being masked by your large leaks.

Please post a 20 minute view of your central events. I'm expecting to see a waxing waning with CA events at the Nadir/ low points. This pattern shows minimal to no breathing at/near the nadir then successively larger breaths then successively smaller breaths in a cyclical pattern. If I'm right this CO2 driven pattern. What is happening, simple explanation, is your APAP is flushing CO2 out of your system, so much so that your CO2 levels are dropping below your apneic threshold and a central apnea occurs. FYI it is the need to remove CO2 from our system that pro ides our drive to breathe, not the need for oxygen.

Get and post a full copy of your sleep study, charts and tables in addition to the narrative. This will show what centrals you have without CPAP.

Your flow limits are high in every chart you have posted. Flow limits represent resistance in your breathing, think of them as mini hypopneas but untimed. This is significant because I'm going to propose a change that will likely decrease your central apneas by decreasing this flushing of CO2, but it will also cause an increase on your flow limits and other events such as hypopneas and RERAS.

Please set your EPR=0 or off

Don't forget to post a full copy of your sleep study.

Just that for now. Post your results and how you feel and do expect more changes. If this doesn't work you may, only may need an ASV machine which is specifically designed to treat central and complex apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: qt9998 Therapy Thread
With predominately central apnea in your therapy results on CPAP it appears you will need to have further evaluation to possibly qualify for ASV. You should request a clinical sleep study to identify the type and severity of apnea. If central apnea is predominate, you will need to complete an additional sleep study for titration to test efficacy of bilevel, moving to ASV if central apnea persists.

You can try turning off EPR to see if this reduces your central apnea index. This is not a substitute for further study, but will show if the bilevel pressure of EPR is causing hypocapnea which increases the CAI in most individuals.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had reverse shoulder replacement surgery yesterday but still managed to do my CPAP last night
and again got over 4 hours before waking up.

Attached are the results.  Believe it or not my AHI is 0.70 and CA is 0.00.  And I forgot to change
the EPR to 0 or anything else before the session.  Since I live in California (CA) I guess a CA angel decided to help me out.
Or maybe my old shoulder was in the way.  Just joking.  

I'm attaching the results.

I'm also attaching my old initial home test results.  That's all the doc sent me.

.pdf   Juanthst.pdf (Size: 508.07 KB / Downloads: 4)

I wish I knew more about the scientific background of sleep apnea so I could respond to you adequately
but what do you think now?
Post Reply Post Reply
Following up on my response a few minutes ago, my taking a pain reliever which is an opioid 
after surgery may have something to do with the great results.  I will be going off of it tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
like you said, the opiod probably did calm your response. hope you get a few nights like that.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
Last nite's results even better (see below) but I'm just taking Tylenol today so we'll see
what the results are tonight. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Results look great.  AHI and CA under 2.  Now need to keep mask on all night.
That's the hard part as I keep waking up after 3-4 hours.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HenryECole81 - Therapy Thread HenryECole81 32 1,193 7 hours ago
Last Post: HenryECole81
  HarleyGirl63 - Therapy Thread HarleyGirl63 13 863 8 hours ago
Last Post: HarleyGirl63
  Abdulfakih - Therapy Thread Abdulfakih 134 5,840 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 32 3,065 10-16-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 60 2,793 10-14-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  LuminousOne Therapy Thread LuminousOne 31 1,670 10-14-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: LuminousOne
  NewlyDiagnosed therapy thread NewlyDiagnosed 127 5,729 10-13-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.