Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Free distilled water for humidifiers. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Free distilled water for humidifiers. (/Thread-Free-distilled-water-for-humidifiers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Free distilled water for humidifiers. - Bernie - 09-04-2012

In going through some of the older messages, I found a long thread about making your own distilled water (using rain water, etc.).

No one seemed to realize that, if you have a refrigerated air conditioner or a refrigerated de-humidifier, you already have your own water distiller. The humidity that condenses on the evaporator (cooling element) of the air conditioner is actually distilled water. Just capture it from the drain pipe and let it run into a clean plastic bottle (empty milk jugs work well).

You'll find that this "distilled water" will work great in your cpap humidifier and won't leave the white crud that has to be cleaned off with a vinegar solution.

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - PaulaO2 - 09-04-2012

Well, yeah, but the mold, ruse, and other assorted crap you'd get from that would be much worse than any mineral deposits. There's no way to adequately keep the hose from forming mold or the vents themselves.

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - Sleepster - 09-04-2012

You will find that as long as the drain hose is left undisturbed virtually none of that crud will end up in the water stream. Really!

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - trish6hundred - 09-04-2012

Hi Bernie, What PaulaO2 said.! and oh, WELCOME! to the forum.!

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - archangle - 09-04-2012

While that sounds good, it's a really, really bad idea.

If you've ever taken apart an old air conditioner and cleaned the area where the water condenses from, you'll see why. The evaporator coils will be covered with a truly disgusting mix of dust, dead skin cells, bacteria, pollen, animal hair, mold, fungus, and dirt. It's like sweeping up several years worth of dust bunnies from underneath your beds, couches, and the refrigerator, and pouring nice clean water into it and letting it ferment for a few weeks before pouring it into your humidifier.

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - PollCat - 09-04-2012

What's the point?? The cost of distilled water has to be the least expensive supply that you use with your machine. A gallon usually lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at a cost of 84 cents. Why risk your health using distilled water of dubious origin??? Oh-jeez

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - zonk - 09-04-2012

(09-04-2012, 10:50 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: A gallon usually lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at a cost of 84 cents.
Cheaper if you buy the 1000 Ltr container

[Image: bulky.jpg]

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - PollCat - 09-05-2012

Yeah, but it probably won't fit under my bathroom sink! :grin:

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - mjbearit - 09-05-2012

(09-05-2012, 01:55 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Yeah, but it probably won't fit under my bathroom sink! :grin:

Sink? My bottle serves double duty as a doorstop so the fan does not blow the door closed!

RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers. - lonnieb - 09-05-2012

bobg1946 Wrote:
A gallon usually lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at a cost of 84 cents.

hmm its .99 cents here what a rip off
Dielaughing