Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure (/Thread-Pressure-Advice-needed-with-question-about-inhalation-pressure)

Pages: 1 2

Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Dawna - 10-04-2023

Hi people.  I hope someone can tell me how to verify my BiPAP inhalation pressure is correct.  I've used BiPAP therapy for years to treat complex sleep apnea, and all this time when I've used my BiPAP machine, the inhalation pressure doesn't seem anywhere near high enough.  When I inhale, there's hardly any sensation of air coming from the machine at all.  If I relax my throat and stop breathing (as during an apnea)  the machine doesn't kick in with increased pressure.  Whenever I've expressed my worry about this to my sleep doctor, his explanation has been confusing and impossible for me to understand.  Can Forum members tell me if when they're using their machine if there's a feeling of strong air pressure during inhalation?  

I don't think my inhalation pressure is high enough to be effective during an apnea event.  I'd appreciate any responses.  Thanks.

Note: I don't know why after my text some code appeared.  I tried to delete the added code but I couldn't.  I don't know what it is.

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Crimson Nape - 10-04-2023

You used a Word Processor to create your post and not a text editor.  Word processors embed formatting code (normally hidden) within the document.  That's why we tell everyone not to use a word processor.

Here is what your last sentence really looks like:
Code:
[align=justify][size=small][font=Verdana]Note: I don't know why after my text some code appeared.  I tried to delete the added code but I couldn't.  I don't know what it is.[/font][/size][/align]

- Red

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - staceyburke - 10-04-2023

No you don’t feel much on inhale. You are awake and not asleep and having “SLEEP. Apnea”.  Pressure rises WHENyou have an apnea and because you are asleep you are not aware of f the higher pressure. 

You may need higher pressure BUT we need to see your data to know. The data we use is from Oscar. It is a program that is totally free at the top of the site. 

You will need a SD card in your machine while you sleep to get the information.

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Dawna - 10-05-2023

Thank you for your reply and the explanation.  I'm sorry for not heeding Forum rule about this.  When posting online I sometimes write my text using wordpad and copy and paste because I think it can help me work out my wording before maybe accidently posting.
Dawna
::highlight(selection_highlighter_highlighted_selection) { background-color: rgba(255,255,0,1); } .selection_highlighter_scroll_markers { pointer-events: none; position: fixed; z-index: 2147483647; top: 0; right: 0; width: 16px; height: 100vh; }

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Crimson Nape - 10-05-2023

Dawna - It's not a rule, it is just a recommendation. Some posts can appear like microcode because of the user's PC font settings. Other posts can appear like the Reader's Digest Large Print edition.

- Red

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Gideon - 10-05-2023

My inhalation is between 17 and 18 and I barely feel it. I actually have to remove my mask to feel it move some air.

First you need to realize that no CPAP or BiLevel rubs at a high pressure. A simple experiment to demonstrate.
Get a tall glass of water and a straw. Place the straw to near the bottom of the glass and let the kid loose and simply blow bubbles.

Assuming 8 inches of depth, I did say a tall glass, you just exhaled against the max pressure a CPAP can produce, 20 cmw of water. Not near enough to blow up a balloon. I'm amazed at how little pressure it takes to keep an airway open.

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - AndyB - 10-05-2023

Gideon -- what a brilliant way to explain it!

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Sleeprider - 10-06-2023

Dawna, your Philips BiPAP AutoSV is an adaptive servo ventilator, and the IPAP pressure changes as the machine detects changes in breathing. Pressure support is used to cause or increase a breath when spontaneous respiratory flow is lower than the target volume or rate. The best way for us to evaluate this is if you will use the free OSCAR software and post a chart which has your settings, respiratory statistics and therapy results and events. Dreammapper cannot do this. We can help you to get better, more comfortable results, but we need the information from Oscar to do this, especially with complex apnea and an advanced BiPAP machine. In answer to your question, we can help. You have to provide enough information for us to make appropriate suggestions.

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Dawna - 10-06-2023

Hi.  I installed Oscar and will figure out how to use it.  Can I just post the results as a reply? (I still don't know how to not show code in my post text.)
::highlight(selection_highlighter_highlighted_selection) { background-color: rgba(255,255,0,1); } .selection_highlighter_scroll_markers { pointer-events: none; position: fixed; z-index: 2147483647; top: 0; right: 0; width: 16px; height: 100vh; }

RE: Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure - Dawna - 10-06-2023

Code:
Thank you. I still would like to format properly, and tried to use a bbcode online editor and this Forum editor, but I'm still stuck.