Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines (/Thread-Resmed-37028-Autosense-Whines)

Pages: 1 2

Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - SleepHungry - 11-20-2023

Hello,  
Hope my problem is fixable or patchable.

My CPAP started whining.  It whines when I inhale.  I changed everything and didn't make any difference.  
The whining is also not consistent.  Sometimes it doesn't whine loudly, but at times it is very loud.    It was super quiet all these years.

It is old, but has been well maintained.  I've had it since 2016 and it has never given me any trouble.  I tried to get into the Sleep Medicine group, but they never called back until a week ago I got someone on the line.  They scheduled me for 1/31/2024.  I won't be here.  I'll be traveling until April.  It still works fine, but the whining concerns me...you know.. I think a bearing is going to go up in smoke or something.  These things are workhorses.  
I have an air mini, but that is also loud (normal), and its humidifier is not great.  I always wake up with dry throat when I use it.  

Anyhow, that is the background.  I can't get into any doctor's office to get a prescription to replace the machine.  My questions are:

1. Does anyone know of anything I can do with this machine to eliminate the whining noise. I am assuming it is still safe to use.
2. I tried using Lofta.com but they even told me my insurance wouldn't take their prescription.  
3. When I get a prescription, should I stick with the Airsense 10 or should I request that an Airsense 11 be prescribed.  I am not really sure, but think I read that there were newer Airsense 10s that had some new improved features.  

I appreciate your advice on this.  

Thank you

RE: Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - SarcasticDave94 - 11-20-2023

Welcome to Apnea Board,

How many run hours are there on the CPAP? The whining is likely caused by the blower motor singing its death song. You can replace the motor if you're up to the task. Otherwise, if you have health insurance, you may be at the time to request a new machine, which is due after 5 years.

RE: Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - SleepHungry - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 01:30 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome to Apnea Board,

How many run hours are there on the CPAP? The whining is likely caused by the blower motor singing its death song. You can replace the motor if you're up to the task. Otherwise, if you have health insurance, you may be at the time to request a new machine, which is due after 5 years.

I suspected that was the death song.  I don't know how many hours and not sure how to get that info.  I know there are manuals here.  I really have used it daily since sometime in 2016.

I didn't know about the 5 years and my issue is that I can't get a prescription until I go see the doctors and cant get in to see one until 1/31/24.   They will want to milk the system by going through another study, which is fine, but I need to solve this or patch it before January.  

Is the blower motor easy to get?  I have replaced motherboards and components....will that experience help?

Hope you are not being sarcastic, thank you

RE: Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - SarcasticDave94 - 11-20-2023

The experience you mention will probably be helpful. Not being sarcastic, at least not yet.

Run hours... On your CPAP, access the clinician menu by holding Home button and clicking dial in and hold 5 seconds. Enter Settings area, scroll to the bottom called About, click in to view Run Hours. This is like an odometer on your car, total miles, not like User Hours which is like a trip odometer.

RE: Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 11-20-2023

Blower motors are easy, peasy, lemon squeezy, to replace if one has experienced opening computer cases. I’ve replaced motors on a number of various machines and have no mechanical skills at all. There are a number of places to get them on the internet. Lots of YouTube videos showing how to do it.

Supplier #27 also does repairs at a fair price with quick turnaround. I had them rebuild one machine for me and was very pleased with the results and price.

RE: Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - UnicornRider - 11-20-2023

(11-20-2023, 01:46 PM)SleepHungry Wrote: I suspected that was the death song.  I don't know how many hours and not sure how to get that info.  I know there are manuals here.  I really have used it daily since sometime in 2016.

I didn't know about the 5 years and my issue is that I can't get a prescription until I go see the doctors and cant get in to see one until 1/31/24.   They will want to milk the system by going through another study, which is fine, but I need to solve this or patch it before January.  

Is the blower motor easy to get?  I have replaced motherboards and components....will that experience help?

Hope you are not being sarcastic, thank you

Your experience should be sufficient to change the blower. Some members have gotten blowers from Alibaba or that ebay place,

SD gives good advice. 

I agree the clinic will probably want a new study. Same as Eyeglasses, the prescription changes with time.

Meanwhile, if you see or smell smoke, unplug.

Sleep-well

(11-20-2023, 02:27 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The experience you mention will probably be helpful. Not being sarcastic, at least not yet.

Run hours... On your CPAP, access the clinician menu by holding Home button and clicking dial in and hold 5 seconds. Enter Settings area, scroll to the bottom called About, click in to view Run Hours. This is like an odometer on your car, total miles, not like User Hours which is like a trip odometer.

It says 21,493.  
I am going to send it for repair.
Does Oscar pull all this info?  I guess i'll just write some of the numbers down to make sure i get the same machine back.  it would be backup once i get a new one.
Supplier 27 sent me a label already with a pre-validated estimate of $270.  Crazy?
I am going to check supplier 28.  
Going to suck it up and use my airmini until I get it back.  
Appreciate your guidance.

RE: Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - Nightynite - 11-20-2023

You probably need a new motor, I had that same whining sound and replaced mine with the help of a YouTube video. You now can buy them on Amazon and there’s a deal now for $101. It’s easy to replace.

Well, after reading all the comments, advice, and confidence; and a warning from another site where someone was quoted $275 for repair and then they got charged $475, I decided to buy a motor.  I found one (actually a bunch) on the website with the Nike like swish  Wink .   There was one for $101 and I'll get it Wednesday.  I'll post an update, positive or negative on the experience.  So far i have been batting over 500 on my sports car's repairs.   Thanks again and I'll be back.

RE: Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines - Sleeprider - 11-20-2023

SleepHungry, the motors members have purchased From Ali Express have worked well. If you're still looking for a certified facility to repair with OEM parts, you should call Supplier #28. Last I heard they charge about $200, fully recondition the air-path reset the run-hours and recalibrate pressure.