Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Sea level vs 6200 feet - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Sea level vs 6200 feet (/Thread-Sea-level-vs-6200-feet)

Pages: 1 2

Sea level vs 6200 feet - pkalsleep - 07-04-2024

Hello!

For any of the gurus out there, based on the images below, what would be the reason for the differences between sea level and 6200 feet (1900 meters) of altitude?
Note that I was using a Perfect O2 oxygen concentrator set at "2" for the 6200 feet readings. No oxygen concentrator for sea level.

(I live at 6200 feet and recently went on a three week vacation to sea level)

I sleep a lot better at sea level I noticed. At 6200 feet I wake up more and I'm more uncomfortable in general. Are there any adjustments that can be made for the 6200 feet settings to make it more like sea level?

Thanks for any help!

RE: Sea level vs 6200 feet - Crimson Nape - 07-04-2024

Hi pkalsleep!  -  Welcome
I'm not a guru, but will still answer.  Both air density and humidity would be my speculation. To a lesser degree, the temperature delta between the ambient and your body temperature.
- Red

RE: Sea level vs 6200 feet - pkalsleep - 07-04-2024

Thank you!

Do you think there is anything I can do to improve my situation at 6200 feet?

Also, would there be a concern with the tidal volume being so low at higher altitude?

Thanks!

RE: Sea level vs 6200 feet - Crimson Nape - 07-04-2024

I would think there should be some deviation chart with your concentrator that would have offsets for different altitudes. How did you arrive at a setting of 2?
- Red

According to my doctor a setting of 2 on that oxygen concentrator approximates the oxygen level at sea level. 
That said, I've tried other oxygen settings as well with no discernable effect on tidal volume. 
At 6000 feet my tidal volume is much lower and I have more flow limitations.

RE: Sea level vs 6200 feet - SarcasticDave94 - 07-04-2024

Another aspect, and unfortunately I'm not the science professor or proficient at explaining the how and why, but the what is that higher elevation tends to enhance Central Apnea. This is shown on your OSCAR as increased CA. This increased a bit on your comparison samples.

Note as well, Central Apnea will have a stubborn, notorious thing where they're consistently inconsistent, as in up and down randomly without a correlation to settings.

RE: Sea level vs 6200 feet - Jay51 - 07-04-2024

That is amazing in that your tidal volume varies greater than 100% between the 2 locations.  I hope that you get the correct adjustments to improve your therapy at 6200 feet elevation.  

I agree with Red and Dave.  Thinner air at higher altitude with less O2 concentration (percentage wise) in the air also.

Thanks!

Yes, I agree about oxygen being important. However, I'm already supplementing my sleep with an oxygen concentrator to offset the lower oxygen levels at the higher altitude, so I don't think it's directly the oxygen that is the issue,

RE: Sea level vs 6200 feet - staceyburke - 07-04-2024

The dispersion of air going into the Cpap is much higher than by cannula. I use 2 during the day and 5 using the Cpap.

Raise the amount of O2 you are getting at night using cpap

Aha! I did not realize this. Let me try that. Thanks!