Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 (/Thread-CPAP-Solvent-smell-coming-from-new-Airsense-11)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - Lucid - 11-08-2022

Hi, Ducknoir  I got my AirSense 11 in February and have never noticed any odor.  What you're describing is not normal or acceptable.  I would insist on returning it for a replacement.  

ResMed needs to figure out what went wrong with your unit.  It would be good to write up what you experienced and sent that along with the machine.

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - Acmill - 12-26-2023

I had the same solvent-chemical type smell from my new Resmed 11. I ran it about 100 hours trying to air it out and remove the smell. I finally gave up and sent it into Resmed. The verdict was the circuit board was faulty.

Resmed sent a replacement unit to my supplier to give me. I refused to accept it and insisted on a refund. After I complained to my credit card company, I finally got a refund. Very frustrating.

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - AnnieBo - 01-03-2024

I have been having the same issues and returned the first Resmed 11 machine and got a replacement but it has the same issues with off gassing. Not sure if it is the tubing or the machine but it is TOXIC. I have been getting the run around from Performance Home Medical and Resmed. Now my insurance won't cover me because I was non-compliant due to the off gassing but they don't count that. I have already paid for most of the machine but had to return it due to non-compliance and now I have no CPAP. I am so frustrated! Neither Resmed nor PHM have a good rating on the BBB for good reason! They all seem to be in cahoots with each other to make profit off of us trying to improve our health with faulty products!

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - CanadaCalling - 01-06-2024

New 11 machine in December - typical slight neutral odor from the cushion material but nothing out of the ordinary from the machine.

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - Medic2296 - 01-08-2024

I just purchased a new Airsense 10 and experienced the same chemical smell, something like cleaning solvent.  I'm trying to clear it out of the machine by running it constant while not using it.  I'm very concerned that whatever that odor is may be toxic.  After the Respironics recall, I'm wondering if ResMed is having a similar problem with plastic components off-gassing.

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - cps22 - 01-08-2024

I got mine in October 2022 - no odor problems.

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - gzaw - 01-09-2024

I had the same.. went away in a month. Give it some time. Or you can send it to a CPAP medic-like company to clean

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - Tanyaj981 - 02-08-2024

I just got my airsense 11 in the last month. I have gotten a replacement and BOTH have this odd smell when I take the mask off in the morning. 

I also now have a cough that I didn't have before and worried this may be the cause. I do not smell anything via the tubing or the mask only from the actual machine in the morning.

Not sure what to do as it seems the 10 also had odor issues.

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - Teddyg - 03-06-2024

That’s a really good idea. Just fired my new resmed 1 up and it stinks so not letting it run.

(12-26-2023, 07:38 PM)Acmill Wrote: I had the same solvent-chemical type smell from my new Resmed 11. I ran it about 100 hours trying to air it out and remove the smell. I finally gave up and sent it into Resmed. The verdict was the circuit board was faulty.

Resmed sent a replacement unit to my supplier to give me. I refused to accept it and insisted on a refund. After I complained to my credit card company, I finally got a refund. Very frustrating.

I find this hard to believe. If the circuit board was bad, how could the machine operate for 100 hours? Also, why would you refuse a replacement?

RE: Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 - Acmill - 03-06-2024

I have no idea about the mechanics of the machine. All I know is I sent the machine to Resmed in Canada and when I asked what was wrong with it, Resmed said it was a “faulty PCB.” PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board. 

Why didn’t I want a replacement? After stinking up my house and fearing health concerns, I don’t want another Resmed 11. I now have a bad feeling about these machines, right or wrong. Maybe another one would be perfectly fine, but I’m not going to take the chance. Have you ever heard of people just having enough?