Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased (/Thread-CPAP-Switched-from-nose-mask-to-full-face-and-AHI-has-increased)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - Gideon - 06-15-2023

This is a fairly classic example of a positional apnea other than the front back side sleeping that sleep studies and doctors talk about. It is most likely caused by your chin tucking into your chest. See the link on soft cervical collars in my signature below.

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - touwmus - 06-15-2023

I wore a cervical collar last two nights. I sleep on a quite standard pillow (a bit high and hard), could that be the culprit ? Would sleeping without a pillow but with the cervical collar be a good test ?

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - Expat31 - 06-15-2023

(06-15-2023, 04:14 AM)touwmus Wrote: Hello,

my sleep study showed that it was when i lay on my back, at least this is what the doctor said.
They told me to sew a tennisball on my back to prevent this (but this was before cpap).

I include my OSCAR graph of last night (same settings and the cervical collar tighter then the night before).
AHI was still high (i think), as you can see in the picture : 

@Touwmus

I think you may find it useful to have a full copy of your report, which will include lots of important information, such as oxygen saturation and much more. To keep for future reference.

My experience and solution started with  an AHI of 30.2, the vast majority being sleeping on my back also. 

I was told by the doctor that sleeping on my left side would greatly improve my situation.

I tried this at first, but didn't may any difference, until I caught myself rolling on my backone night, then again several nights later

I tried tennis balls, firstly with one, no good, then two, still no good, then three, and BINGO.

It however took quite a  long  time to get used to it, as the downside is that it is sometimes quite  uncomfortable.  

But in spite of this, quality of sleep was much improved.

After six months I had finally trained by body to not roll over, so tennis balls gone. 

I think a lot of the choice of solution perhaps may depend on a person's particular build. (BMI?)

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - Gideon - 06-15-2023

Start with a thinner pillow and s| if that helps, if not then try the collar

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - Sleeprider - 06-15-2023

In addition to positional apnea, it appears you must increase your pressure, probably significantly. Your chart show that you are at your maximum set pressure through the entire night, with or without events. Your current pressure range of 7.0 to 10.0 with EPR at 3 is effectively delivering an EPAP pressure of 7.0 throughout the night. It is EPAP that holds the airway against obstructive apnea, and it's clearly not working. I'm going to suggest a significant increase in pressure from 10.0 minimum to 15.0 maximum. This will start your pressure at your current maximum, which is not working, and will titrate higher on the autoset algorithm. You may well end up with a full night at 15.0/12.0, but we have to make the titration changes indicated by your current results.

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - touwmus - 06-15-2023

ok, i will try these settings and report back here. I will leave EPR on 3 also.

Is there any health risk with these higher pressures ? Is this very exceptional and/or concerning ?

Thanks for the information !

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - touwmus - 06-17-2023

So after adjusting the settings to :

- APAP mode
- Max pressure : 15
- Minimum pressure : 10
- EPR : 3

- wearing a cervical collar
- sleeping without a cushion

The F20 mask is quite sensitive for leaks in my opinion, I don't know if that's the problem ? I see the events are all grouped around the mask leaks (If I read the graphs correctly)

Results are not yet perfect in my experience, AHI is 3,56 but I feel the adjustments are getting in the right direction. Any help is welcome.

Thanks !

OSCAR data here :

[attachment=51567]

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - Sleeprider - 06-17-2023

Leaks seem to be a common problem with the F20.

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - touwmus - 06-17-2023

I’ve read about it. If you see my Oscar data, solving the leak would be the only thing to do ?

RE: Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased - touwmus - 06-23-2023

Hello,

i had my first "normal night" in my opinion since starting with the settings recommended here. That means : I didn't have the feeling my sleep was totally miserable. 
But still the AHI is 5,67 and I'm unrefreshed in the morning.

The screenshot of my OSCAR data is attached below, this was a night with these settings/parameters :

- APAP mode on Resmed 10 Airsense Autoset
- min pressure : 10 
- max pressure : 15
- EPR : 3
- Humidity : 5
- F20 Full face mask
- Cervical collar

Any hints for what I can still do to improve my sleep ?

Thank you already for your advice.

[attachment=51698]