Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
tbhausen - Therapy Thread - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: tbhausen - Therapy Thread (/Thread-tbhausen-Therapy-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: tbhausen - Therapy Thread - tbhausen - 10-30-2023

Things aren't going well. I crashed out Saturday night forgetting to even use the machine. Last night used the Vitera with medium cushion and awoke four times during the night. I don't recall what my AHI was (it wasn't great). No bad leaking but I have to adjust it so tight that I've got red marks across the back of my neck and cheeks this morning. Seems the hybrids are a complete no-go at my pressure requirement, so it's probably going to come down to F20 vs Vitera (or some other full face mask I'm not aware of yet). It drives me insane not to be able to scratch my nose if it itches (which is what I think woke me up at least once last night). It feels like a rough road ahead for me.

Does anyone make a full mask that covers the mouth and plugs into the nostrils? I wonder if something like that could work for me.

Edit: I see a couple options for those, but user reviews seem to indicate they're not a good choice for higher pressures (I'm not surprised).

RE: tbhausen - Therapy Thread - Sleeprider - 10-30-2023

Nasal pillows with mouth cup describes a "hybrid full face mask". Examples are the Resmed Mirage Liberty, Resmed F30i, Philips Dreamwear Full Face. Respironics Amara full Face, Resmed Mirage Liberty Full Face, Respcare Full Face Mask. There are others. I suggest you buy from an online supplier with a mask guarantee that will give you full credit towards a replacement if the size, model or make of mask does not work out in the first 30 days. These are generally included in the regular purchase cost and limited to one exchange per purchase, but can be really helpful when picking a new style of mask. BTW, I just got a 25% discount code "SPOOKYDEALS" from Supplier #1 for masks. Similar discounts may be available elsewhere.

RE: tbhausen - Therapy Thread - tbhausen - 10-31-2023

AAAAARGH! I need help...

Here's last night's OSCAR data. The first part of the night was using a F30i. I recall dealing with the leaks (from the sides of my nose up into my eyes when side sleeping, and "mask farts" below, at the facial seal). I awoke drooling with the mask seal wet, noisy, leaking. Set the F30i aside and went to the Vitera for the last couple hours' sleep. Less leakage, but I have to set the bottom straps so tight to control leaks that my face still hurts three hours later. Both masks make me miserable right now. Does that mask sealing gel stuff work well enough where I might be able to loosen these masks to tolerable levels?

Do I have a fighting chance to make a mask like a P30i work at my pressure levels? I'd rather tape or glue my mouth shut, or use a chin strap, than wake up to a leaking mask full of drool.

On a positive note, I did have one vivid dream I recall in detail (my first since starting sleep therapy last week).

Does it make sense that my Flow Limit has always been zero?

Anything else jump out in the data? @Sleeprider, are your suggestions still OK in light of this latest data?

Wow... look at this series of OA (and a CA) around 3:20 AM. Not breathing for 20-30 seconds at a time??? That's troubling.

RE: tbhausen - Therapy Thread - Sleeprider - 10-31-2023

The cluster looks positional https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Optimizing_therapy#Positional_Apnea

I'll keep an eye out and if it persists I'll try a collar--thanks! Did you see the post above that? I sure need help getting a mask to work.

RE: tbhausen - Therapy Thread - Sleeprider - 10-31-2023

I'm just not a full face or hybrid mask guy. My entire experience involves nasal pillows through their evolution from 2008. If I ever needed a FFM I'd be completely lost, although I did get a Fit-Life in anticipation of a surgery that never happened. It fits around the whole face and forehead and is simply awful.

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try Bleep Eclipse. I'll get with my Doc and see if he wants the pressure down when I start that.

RE: tbhausen - Therapy Thread - tbhausen - 11-01-2023

(10-28-2023, 09:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: tbhausen, if you'd like to be a bit adventurous, we can find settings that are more comfortable and effective for you, and that may help you with leaks by cutting back on peak pressure.  What I'd like to do is to utilize the Vauto titration feature on your device to see where we really need to be to prevent OA and perhaps even reduce the few CA events.  Mostly, this "experiment" is to identify a comfortable pressure range that is effective.  If you want to play along, these are the settings:
Mode: Vauto
EPAP min: 9.0
Max IPAP: 18.0
PS: 4.0
Trigger sensitivity: High
Cycle sensitiviy: Medium
TiMin: 0.3
TiMax: 2.5

Circling back to this, here's last night's OSCAR data. No clusters of positional apneas, but the mask (F&P Vitera) is crushingly tight to control leaks (I tried all ranges from very loose to where I'm at now). Sleeprider, with this latest data, do you still recommend these changes? Why has my Flow Limit always been zero since the start?

Also, I'll receive Bleep Eclipse tomorrow. Do you recommend different settings (lowered pressures?) for that setup?

RE: tbhausen - Therapy Thread - tbhausen - 11-01-2023

Here's an OA event, if that could be helpful.