Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment (/Thread-Request-for-help-making-sense-of-my-CA-numbers-and-guiding-further-treatment)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - SarcasticDave94 - 06-19-2024

OK, not in a derogatory tone towards you, if you need next level machines, how do you get it? If this doctor is clueless, can you replace?

As for cervical spinal issues, yes that can be a cause. Is it, a doctor would need to determine this. Lots of Central Apnea patients get the generic CA cause of idiopathic meaning unknown medical causation. In my opinion, if the cause isn't detrimental to health, should it matter to medicals why you have CA, and focus on properly, effectively, treating them?

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - jostlereptile - 06-19-2024

What would I need for this? Would I not need to be tested first, in another setting, to be sure it is CSA? Could a sleep test be contaminated by treatment-emergent CSA that persists on nights spent without the CPAP, or does treatment-emergent CSA immediately cease when a CPAP is not used?

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - SarcasticDave94 - 06-20-2024

Unfortunate the answer to what CA you have is probably contained in the study you already have done. Specifically, are they only treatment emergent or the more permanent predominant CA. If CA showed up in the diagnostic report, then that's supposed to be enough evidence. Unless and until you get an egotistical know it all doctor that refuses to acknowledge CA are an issue for a patient that's dealing with the effects. The funny thing is the doctor arbitrarily says the CA aren't a big deal because these CA aren't affecting the doctor's sleep. Egotistical fool is your doctor.

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - Narcil - 06-20-2024

(06-19-2024, 10:24 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: As for cervical spinal issues, yes that can be a cause. Is it, a doctor would need to determine this. Lots of Central Apnea patients get the generic CA cause of idiopathic meaning unknown medical causation. In my opinion, if the cause isn't detrimental to health, should it matter to medicals why you have CA, and focus on properly, effectively, treating them?

Doesn't effective treatment require them to know why you have them? otherwise they're just masking the symptoms.

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - SarcasticDave94 - 06-20-2024

It depends on what the issue is for one reason. Is that medical issue in need of treatment itself? Yes, then separate and treat both. Otherwise, no it doesn't matter the causation of the CA. Call it idiopathic and treat CA.

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - jostlereptile - 06-20-2024

(06-20-2024, 04:54 AM)oSarcasticDave94 Wrote: Unfortunate the answer to what CA you have is probably contained in the study you already have done. Specifically, are they only treatment emergent or the more permanent predominant CA. If CA showed up in the diagnostic report, then that's supposed to be enough evidence. Unless and until you get an egotistical know it all doctor that refuses to acknowledge CA are an issue for a patient that's dealing with the effects. The funny thing is the doctor arbitrarily says the CA aren't a big deal because these CA aren't affecting the doctor's sleep. Egotistical fool is your doctor.

I was under the impression that the Resmed home test device that was used to administer my only sleep study was not capable of detecting CSA, at least according to their documentation. How accurate are the readings of my Airsense 10, when it is teling me I am having central events? My only other hint is thst previous partners tell me I do not snore.

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - jostlereptile - 06-22-2024

So I'm leaving this information just in case someone like me is searching on Google for information. Looking at my OSCAR charts, the CSA events seem to be occurring in clusters, which is why my AHI can be as low as 1.5 and I still feel like garbage after waking up. It'll be one or two events all night and then about halfway through, 5-10 in bursts. It also explains why I can't seem to sleep more than six hours.

There are papers which say that CSA peaks during NREM sleep. I have few events early in the night, and usually more towards the middle or end of the night. NREM is the most important and restorative stage of sleep. It makes sense that having this interrupted would rob you of more comfort and energy in waking life. My average pause seems to hover around 20-30s, which is 2-3x more than the clinical line for an apnea. Hypopneas can also be central, which means that the average number for me of 3ish AHI, roughly 1/3 hypopneas and 2/3 CSA is actually entirely neurological.

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - SarcasticDave94 - 06-22-2024

Central Apnea of any sort will be consistently inconsistent, which is why it's difficult to test and treat. If these are treatment emergent CA, they'll diminish within 3 months of starting CPAP therapy.

RE: Request for help making sense of my CA numbers and guiding further treatment - jostlereptile - 06-22-2024

(06-22-2024, 03:09 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Central Apnea of any sort will be consistently inconsistent, which is why it's difficult to test and treat. If these are treatment emergent CA, they'll diminish within 3 months of starting CPAP therapy.

I've been using the CPAP since November 2023. If anything, it seems to be getting worse. My average overall has been an AHI of 3, while my average of the past month has been 5-6.