Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
pierrecohenmusic - Therapy Thread - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: pierrecohenmusic - Therapy Thread (/Thread-pierrecohenmusic-Therapy-Thread)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Was my OSA a misdiagnosis? Is it CA? - Sleeprider - 06-19-2024

You're going to get a good sleep if you can resolve the leaks. I'm glad you were open to trying the higher trigger sensitivity. I see where you tried the higher PS and had one OA evernt. The Use of PS 1 worked fine, but man, those leaks!

RE: Was my OSA a misdiagnosis? Is it CA? - pierrecohenmusic - 06-19-2024

Ok. Thanks. What do you mean by too high to accept?

RE: Was my OSA a misdiagnosis? Is it CA? - SarcasticDave94 - 06-19-2024

Too high to allow this to go without correction of some sort. It lists about 13 L/Min large leak, and then within the chart trace line it's occasionally low but tending too close to the redline most of the time.

RE: Was my OSA a misdiagnosis? Is it CA? - Sleepster - 06-19-2024

(06-17-2024, 10:23 AM)pierrecohenmusic Wrote: This weird feeling happens when I fall where I stop breathing right as I fall asleep, and then I jolt myself awake with a burst of adrenaline. And this happens every 5-15 minutes many times throughout the night.

If this is happening with the mask off, it's perfectly consistent with your diagnosis of moderate obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).

The central sleep apnea (CSA) you are experiencing is induced by the CPAP machine. It can be caused by too high a pressure, or too high a pressure support. If what you describe above is happening with your mask on, then this is likely the cause.

You need to follow the advice you're getting from Sleeprider about your pressure settings, and you need to heed the advice that you're getting from others about taming your leaks. Your insurance company should have a contract with your equipment supplier that allows for you to try out several different masks until you find one that fits well.

Quote:Could anxiety be causing this?

No, the cause is the OSA and the therapy you're receiving. Note that the CPAP-induced CSA tends to subside with time.

Just hang in there and make a commitment to using your machine every time you sleep, all the time that you're sleeping. That is the best way to adapt and eliminate the CPAP-induced CSA. As you get adapted you will sleep better and your anxiety will lessen.

Breathing is uncomfortable... need help with settings - pierrecohenmusic - 06-25-2024

Hi all!

Here are my numbers from last night... the low AHI number looks great but I find breathing uncomfortable... it feels restricted, like im not getting enough air when I inhale and exhale. I took my mask off without even realizing it last night.

[attachment=66149]

Here are my device settings:

[attachment=66150]

I just started using a FFM yesterday and the seal seems good and my leak rate is improved over the nasal mask.

Is there a way to change settings so that breathing is more comfortable?

I'm taking a trip tomorrow and really want to get my sleep dialed in, so thanks so much in advance!

RE: Breathing is uncomfortable... need help with settings - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 06-25-2024

How long have you been using CPAP? What did you use for a mask before the full-face mask? Any medical conditions? Any prescription drugs taken? Vitamin? How did you end up with those rather interesting settings?

From a timing perspective, expecting to get it "dialed in" in one night is rather unrealistic. We can take a shot at it, but with no background it is a guess.

Here is something to start with for now. 

Mode APAP
Min pressure 9
Max pressure 15
EPR 2 full-time
No ramp

It is a process to get things tweaked to your needs and comfort. This is a good baseline to start from, but it will need to be fine-tuned when you have time.

RE: Breathing is uncomfortable... need help with settings - SarcasticDave94 - 06-25-2024

You really should keep this contained into a specific therapy thread. To me it's a question about ongoing treatment. There's info this new thread doesn't contain that's pertinent to the discussion.

The leaks are improved, but can be better still to help with therapy effectiveness and comfort. It's not yet consistent.

Try the new settings suggested.

RE: Breathing is uncomfortable... need help with settings - pierrecohenmusic - 06-25-2024

My machine is a Bipap machine. Air curve 11 SleepRider in this forum started me off in this direction. I lowered my pressure support to 1 as first because I was getting too many centrals, and raised it to 2 to see if that would help me exhale more easily. i’ve been using a Phillips Dreamwear nasal mask but I am getting too many leakages due to mouth, breathing and chin straps and taping, make me feel way too claustrophobic, but the Phillips full face mask is working very nicely. 

How are the settings you’re suggesting going to change the difficulty of my exhalation? If anything the higher min pressure with make exhalation harder, no?

I was thinking that maybe adjusting the pressure support, trigger/cycle setting, or TiMax numbers could help facilitate my ease of breathing but am not sure which to tweak since the seem somewhat correlated. 

Thanks!!

RE: pierrecohenmusic - Therapy Thread - OpalRose - 06-25-2024

pierre,

Your recent two threads have been merged to better reflect your Cpap journey. Thread has been renamed.

Going forward, please use this thread for your charts and questions.

Thanks Smile