Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Changed BiPAP machines--need advice - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Changed BiPAP machines--need advice (/Thread-Changed-BiPAP-machines-need-advice)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Changed BiPAP machines--need advice - gwc2795 - 03-21-2018

[attachment=5016]
chart

RE: Changed BiPAP machines--need advice - Sleeprider - 03-21-2018

Get closer and include the flow rate. Your chart above is about 6 minutes...get down to one or two minutes tops.

[attachment=5018]
Zoomed in SH chart

Now we're talking. Your respiratory rate in this sample is just over 13 BPM and expiration time is normal, and longer than inspiration time. You are having a brief exhale through your mouth at the end of inhale that causes a brief dip before the flow rate detected by your machine returns to zero (that flat spot). You are probably exhaling orally through this period, as exhale concludes you are back in the mask as flow again approaches zero (all of this is exhale, and the next inspiration begins. I would approximate the time in expiration at 2.5 times inspiration.

This is a brief period of your night, and the machine is not picking this up as a leak, so your therapy is not particularly affected. It is a form of mouth breathing that we see from time to time, and is discussed in the Flow Limitations chart in the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead wiki. See the second to last sample below.

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]

Thanks so much Sleeprider. The information is invaluable. I am surprised that exhaling through the moth would show up with a FFM, but now I know. I will reread the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead wiki.

Thanks again

The other possibility is you are inhaling and holding your breath before exhaling. Maybe this is related to a stage of sleep or dreaming, but, somehow you have a pause before most of the exhale is happening. Think about the mechanics of holding your breath. It could cause that brief release of air, zero flow, then exhale. If not for that pause before exhale, this looks pretty normal. The pattern really messes with the machine's ability to detect expiration time.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5018]

Makes sense.

Thank Sleeprider.

RE: Changed BiPAP machines--need advice - gwc2795 - 03-22-2018

The attached SH charts as well as the charts attached to the following are focused on Insp. Time.  I seem to have trouble when starting treatment, seems I can't get enough air. I have to mouth breath to get enough air. I am breathing through my nose but it seems I do not get enough air. The Insp. Time seems to be chopped off. It can happen more than 1 time a night. In the following post is the SH chart for 3/21/18. It took over 1 hour foe me to get comfortable enough to sleep.  Any help will be much appreciated.

[attachment=5038][attachment=5037][attachment=5036][attachment=5035][attachment=5034][attachment=5034]

RE: Changed BiPAP machines--need advice - gwc2795 - 03-22-2018

These SH charts are associated with my last post.

[attachment=5039][attachment=5040]

RE: Changed BiPAP machines--need advice - Walla Walla - 03-22-2018

Do you have the Ramp on? If so try turning it off.