Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cough and bad night of therapy... - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cough and bad night of therapy... (/Thread-Cough-and-bad-night-of-therapy)

Cough and bad night of therapy... - Rousseau21 - 02-16-2016

Hello apneaboard community,

I start to have a bad cough yesterday and it cause me to have a bad night...

Anyone have a suggestion, tip or advise to help my next night?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

RE: Cough and bad night of therapy... - AlanE - 02-16-2016

I have one of those chronic idiopathic coughs apparently. My lungs are clear yet I just cough away. Post-nasal or gerd are some possible reasons. Last night was another winner. I think I was awake until midnight. When that happens, I find myself making crude drawings of water heater systems. Anyway, I sometimes take cough medicine to suppress it enough so I can sleep. I use the daytime stuff since I don't need anything extra to put me asleep. I just need to stop coughing.

RE: Cough and bad night of therapy... - Sleeprider - 02-16-2016

ACE inhibitors like Lisinopril can cause a cough, or maybe it's just a cold. Anytime you are coughing, it will cause some disruption in CPAP therapy. You need to figure out a little bit about the root cause to deal with it (or just let it pass). If you have congestion and can't seem to relieve it, then a Guiafsin formula like Mucinex might help, or if it is a dry cough, a cough suppressant might help. Since a cough can have so many different causes, it's kind of up to your to do a process of elimination and find what works. Drink plenty of water. Can't hurt, and might help.

RE: Cough and bad night of therapy... - Rousseau21 - 02-18-2016

(02-16-2016, 08:44 AM)AlanE Wrote: I have one of those chronic idiopathic coughs apparently. My lungs are clear yet I just cough away. Post-nasal or gerd are some possible reasons. Last night was another winner. I think I was awake until midnight. When that happens, I find myself making crude drawings of water heater systems. Anyway, I sometimes take cough medicine to suppress it enough so I can sleep. I use the daytime stuff since I don't need anything extra to put me asleep. I just need to stop coughing.

I'm sorry to hear that AlanE Sad

On my side it is more like normal cold symptoms.

Cough medicine will probably help me Thanks

All the best in your therapy !
(02-16-2016, 09:49 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: ACE inhibitors like Lisinopril can cause a cough, or maybe it's just a cold. Anytime you are coughing, it will cause some disruption in CPAP therapy. You need to figure out a little bit about the root cause to deal with it (or just let it pass). If you have congestion and can't seem to relieve it, then a Guiafsin formula like Mucinex might help, or if it is a dry cough, a cough suppressant might help. Since a cough can have so many different causes, it's kind of up to your to do a process of elimination and find what works. Drink plenty of water. Can't hurt, and might help.

Thank you Sleeprider!

I think I will have to let it pass because it really sounds like a cold.

It help me a lot to drink plenty of water !

RE: Cough and bad night of therapy... - AlanE - 02-18-2016

(02-18-2016, 01:17 PM)Rousseau21 Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that AlanE Sad

No worries. Water heating systems must be fascinating to somebody. Dont-know