Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] How to buy a portable polysomnograph? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] How to buy a portable polysomnograph? (/Thread-Equipment-How-to-buy-a-portable-polysomnograph)

How to buy a portable polysomnograph? - DO3OP - 03-17-2018

Friends,

I am a 45 y.o. male diagnosed with moderate SA (AHI = 20) in Dec, 2017. I have been on a CPAP ever since.

I have noticed that I have no SA symptoms when taking a nap while lying on a slope (which is unsurprising). I would like to test the results of my sleep while lying on various slope angles and if, while at a reasonably low angle, my AHI drops significantly, I may start thinking of buying a raised/adjustable bed.

Now, I will only be able to do so if I have a polysomnograph handy.

Question: was anybody able to acquire a portable polysomnograph somewhere? The simplest possible (3-4 channels) will do.

Thanks,
D.

RE: How to buy a portable polysomnograph? - JesseLee - 03-17-2018

Suppiler #3 has a Home Sleep Test. I googled "portable somnography equipment." There are results, but I've never heard of anybody personally owning such equipment, it's pricey stuff.
The home sleep test from supplier 3 looks like it has oximetry and respiration cuff.

Welcome to Apnea Board.

I don't know what regulations are put on lab style equipment either.

RE: How to buy a portable polysomnograph? - Walla Walla - 03-17-2018

Just set your machine to 4cm and use the results from that. It should give you an idea if the slant angles are working and by how much. Best thing about it is it's free since you have a machine.

RE: How to buy a portable polysomnograph? - JesseLee - 03-17-2018

(03-17-2018, 04:25 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Just set your machine to 4cm and use the results from that. It should give you an idea if the slant angles are working and by how much. Best thing about it is it's free since you have a machine.

I love free! I was doing some more digging around on this subject, and the famous auction website has the identical polysomnography equipment that was used on me in the lab study. Can have it today for $6999 plus 100 for shipping.

RE: How to buy a portable polysomnograph? - trish6hundred - 03-17-2018

Hi DO3OP,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds pretty cost-prohibitive.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.

RE: How to buy a portable polysomnograph? - DO3OP - 03-17-2018

Hi Walla Walla,

Yep, this is what I am going to do if all else fails. I did find an HST device sold by the manufacturer for about $2500.

Cheers,
D.

RE: How to buy a portable polysomnograph? - Sleeprider - 03-17-2018

I think you could do recording oximetry and have a pretty good idea of whether you have sleep apnea that causes oxygen desaturations and pulse increases. If that is not a problem, then the remaining question is how you "feel". I'm pretty sure on top of all that you could use a smartphone app to register snores and some general sleep quality metrics. If you're or sleep with someone, you will probably be told if your snoring is disruptive.

We treat sleep apnea in large part because of its detrimental effect on sleep by causing arousals. If you don't experience oxygen desats, and feel rested and alert, then you would probably not pursue treatment anyway. If on top of that you're not keeping someone else awake, you may be just fine. You sure don't need polysomnography to tell you those answers.