Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter (/Thread-Software-for-a-Contec-CMS-50E-pulse-oximeter)

Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - dschalk - 05-11-2023

I have a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter but no user manual or software for moving overnight data onto my computer. Contec is no help. They seem to have forgotten that they ever made the CMS 50E model.

My operating system is Arch Linux, but I can make Windows software work. Helpful hints would be much appreciated. The manual as an email attachment to dschalkdesk@gmail.com might solve my problem. The user manual might still be downloabable from Contec, but the customer assistance operation doesn't seem to know anything about it.

RE: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - Crimson Nape - 05-11-2023

Hi dschalk! - Welcome

The only software that is available to communicate with the CMS-50s is a Windows only application, Smart Device Assistant V3.1.0.1. It will run in a VM Windows shell, but you may have problems with the USB connection. This device requires the special cable that came with the CMS-50. I believe it is a USB/HID type and can really cause problems if you aren't in a real Windows environment.

Here is my download link to Smart Device Assistant V3.1.0.1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3abnkx8y2bd5b4/Smart_Device_Assistant_V3.1.0.1.zip?dl=0

Good luck!
- Red

RE: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - dschalk - 05-25-2023

Thanks for your kind response. I'll tell you where it has taken me so far.

I'm using an Arch Linux operating system called RebornOS. Using the link you provided, I now have this subdirectory (folder) in my file system: ~/.wine/driveC/users/g/Smart Device Assistant V3.1.0.1. 

I was surprised to see what appears to be data from the times I used the device overnight in 2018 and 2019. There's also a 2010 file named "demo.SpO2". With an appropriate Windows program, I'm pretty sure I could display the data. I don't know which Windows applications to try.

Calling SpO2.exe doesn't seem to do anything -- no error message, no prompt, nothing. I don't know what it's supposed to do. Now I can't find the 2018 and 2019 data. Maybe SpO2.exe wiped it.

I won't be surprised if it turns out that I misinterpreted everything I saw.   

Thanks again.

RE: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - Crimson Nape - 05-25-2023

SpO2.exe is the name of the program. The Demo.SpO2 is added when you installed Smart Device Assistant, and is to give the user a sample piece of data to play with, when first using the app.

- Red

RE: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - dschalk - 05-02-2024

Greetings,

I need to find out if I have sleep apnea. Many years ago I was able to get overnight data from a CMS 50E. I still have a replacement CMS 50E, but I now have a Lenova laptop running Windows 10 along with a Contec CMS 50F wrist pulse oximeter. When I use it, it says "Recording" and the screen goes blank. This is encouraging.

Windows 10 isn't detecting the CMS 50F. I load ContecDeviceUtility_3.6.1 and it says to install DIO-NET-TYPE1 or AIO-NET-TYPE1 at device manager.
I don't normally use Windows. I did get to device manager but saw no option to install anything.

Please help me in any way you can, or just say "Hi" or something. I've been at this all day.

Thanks for helping me when I tried to do this from my Linux desktop computer.

Best regards,
David

P.S. I forgot your name.

RE: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - Crimson Nape - 05-02-2024

Which software app are you using to download the data, SpO2Assistant or SmartDeviceAssistant? Also, are you using the cable that was supplied with the oximeter?

- Red

RE: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - dschalk - 05-03-2024

It's actually a CMS 50F

Hello again,

I connected with a male to male USB C cable I had laying around. Some of these do little more than re-charge devices, some are good for transferring data. I hadn't thought of that before reading your post.

I bought one of these on Amazon.com: AAOTOKK Flat Braided Type C USB 3.1 Adapter Extender Cable 5 Gbps&2A 3.1 USB Type C Male to USB3.1 Cable Full Function Supports Charging,Data,Audio,Video Cable for Laptop&Tablet&Mobile Phone(1.5M-M/M)

I'll let you know what happens.

David a/k/a dschalk

RE: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - dschalk - 05-12-2024

Hi again,

I now have a Contec data cable, but my son is using my Windows laptop so I'll wait to see if it works. For $14, I got an Emay Bluetooth pulse oximeter. It'a heavy and falls off of my finger at night, but I have some 3-hour readings. My O2 levels fall below 90 once or twice and remain low for around 30 seconds according to the device. I think I should feel relieved since that doesn't indicate sleep apnea.

Downloading the app to my cell phone and getting connected to the Emay device was easy. Maybe it isn't the most accurate pulse oximeter, but I think it's telling me what I need to know.

I'm very grateful for your help. Thank you.

David (a/ka dschalk)

RE: Software for a Contec CMS 50E pulse oximeter - stew51 - 06-05-2024

Apologies for not noticing this sooner, but if you are still interested in utilizing the Contec CMS50F with Linux, I was able to extract the data and import it into OSCAR as described in the earlier forum post here:

(unable to post link; search for: Is-there-a-solution-to-read-out-the-newer-versions-of-the-Contect-CMS50F-under-Linux?)

Any USB C to A cable should work to connect to your PC.  The Smart Device Assistant 3.1.0.1 software is a little more straightforward and has some nice reporting capabilities, but of course requires Windows.  I was able to get a full night's readings and match it up to my CPAP readings in OSCAR, but I believe this data can be imported into OSCAR alone without having CPAP info included.

I do not routinely use the CMS50F, but have found it to be useful from time to time to supplement my CPAP reports.  It will certainly indicate if you are having problems with your oxygen level and as a verification of effectiveness if you are using a CPAP.

I found a link to a manual for the CMS50F here but it may be for an earlier revision of the device:

(unable to post link; find at: www(dot)pulseoximeter(dot)org/cms50f.html)

Good luck with your quest!