Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Self Treating, First Night Questions/Confirmation - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Self Treating, First Night Questions/Confirmation (/Thread-Self-Treating-First-Night-Questions-Confirmation)

Self Treating, First Night Questions/Confirmation - DragonOrcher - 08-24-2023

Hi all,

I’ve decided to sort out my (undiagnosed) sleep apnea and was told that my first appointment with a doctor would be in 10 months and so the total time it would take to receive a CPAP machine if needed would be comfortably over a year.

Without wanting to waste any time, I’ve purchased an AirSense 10 AutoSet. I opted out of doing a private sleep study to confirm if I have sleep apnea or not as I am 99% sure it is OSA from my own experiences and comments from others. A private sleep study is about 1/3 of the cost of the ResMed so I just can't see the worth in it for just a confirmation.

The machine has arrived and it’ll be my first night with it and after a fair amount of reading, I’d just like to confirm if what I’m going to do is any good.

I’ve set my pressures to 6-20, EPR at 3 and turned off ramp. I’ve got OSCAR downloaded and will check the data tomorrow. AFAIK I should then be setting my minimum pressure to 2cm below what the machine is normally running at.

Is all that correct? I will also post my data as an update.

RE: Self Treating, First Night Questions/Confirmation - OpalRose - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 09:13 AM)DragonOrcher Wrote: AFAIK I should then be setting my minimum pressure to 2cm below what the machine is normally running at.
Is all that correct? I will also post my data as an update.

Depends what the numbers show... like breakdown of total AHI.
Also, flow limitation, snores, and Leak Rate, etc. all play into the the need for more or less pressure, more or less EPR, etc. Let's see a couple charts first.

Be sure you have the SD card in your machine while you sleep, or you will only see summary data.

RE: Self Treating, First Night Questions/Confirmation - Sleeprider - 08-24-2023

At 6-20 pressure with EPR 3 you will have a total range of 6/4 to 20/17 (inhale/exhale). Generally, we suggest a minimum pressure of 7.0 with EPR 3 which keeps the EPR constant through the entire range resulting in 7/4 to 20/17. It's a good bet you won't touch the top of the pressure range. Why did you choose a full-face? Nasal pillows are much lighter, minimal interface that applies pressure directly to the airway. They are generally less disruptive because they are smaller and don't move, while a full-face tends to inflate and deflate with changing pressure. Unless you have a problem with air escaping from your mouth it's just better.

RE: Self Treating, First Night Questions/Confirmation - DragonOrcher - 08-24-2023

(08-24-2023, 11:21 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: At 6-20 pressure with EPR 3 you will have a total range of 6/4 to 20/17 (inhale/exhale).  Generally, we suggest a minimum pressure of 7.0 with EPR 3 which keeps the EPR constant through the entire range resulting in 7/4 to 20/17.  It's a good bet you won't touch the top of the pressure range.  Why did you choose a full-face?  Nasal pillows are much lighter, minimal interface that applies pressure directly to the airway. They are generally less disruptive because they are smaller and don't move, while a full-face tends to inflate and deflate with changing pressure.  Unless you have a problem with air escaping from your mouth it's just better.

I will up the min to 7 then!

I went for the full mask as I do wake up and notice myself breathing through my mouth. I do start off my sleep breathing through the nose, so I don't know if I transition to mouth breathing due to the sleep apnea. My end goal is definitely to move over to nasal pillows but I figured I might check first to see if I continue breathing through my mouth.