Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? (/Thread-Recommendations-for-fairly-accurate-sleep-trackers)

Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? - SleepyMcDonald - 11-08-2023

I would like to pair my data from cpap with some sleep stage data. I am currently using Samsung Galaxy watch 4 and Whoop for sleep tracking but those are wildly inaccurate. I would like something a bit more accurate while not stupid expensive, probably 90%+ accuracy would suffice.

I have been personally looking at Muse S, though i didn't yet find reports of how accurate it really is. Also hopefully it's not too challenging to use with CPAP mask.

Any recommendations?

RE: Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? - gainerfull - 11-08-2023

I think the best commercially available consumer sleep tracking is found on the Apple Watch Series 9. This sleep scientist compared it to a reference eeg and found it to be the most accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igZ3DEhrk4

If you're looking for cost effective the Apple Watch SE 2022 was also great at a much lower price point. You'll see in the video where pretty much every conceivable sleep tracking device is ranked against each other.

RE: Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? - Zombie on my Lawn - 10-13-2024

Dear Sleepy McDonald,

I realize it's been a while since you posted, but thought I would reply anyway, in case it is helpful to you or someone else.

It looks like now the information about the Muse S headband you were waiting for has become available. When looking up this topic recently, I came across a journal article in an academic journal called "Sleep". The article is entitled: Validation of a Portable Sleep Electroencephalography Device in Good Sleepers and People with Sleep Apnea. (I think if you copy and paste or type that into an internet search engine, you will find it easily). I also see that the Mayo Clinic is doing a clinical trial with it on sleep quality for middle aged women.

I am using the Muse S headband with the Resmed AirTouch N20 nasal mask and it seems to be working fine to combine them for me.
I'd be interested in hearing your experience, whether you got the Muse S or something else.

RE: Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? - SleepyMcDonald - 10-14-2024

Thanks for letting me know. I briefly looked at the study and seems the accuracy is quite good. Need to consider getting this device at some point.

RE: Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? - THEVGE - 10-14-2024

Interesting, that Muse S! I agree from watches the Apple is probably best. See YouTube channel "The Quantified Scientist". He proposed on Android the Pixel Watch 3 is the current best and I bought it based on that remark.

As for Android users, I find my Google Pixel Watch 3 the best sleep tracker I have owned (out of 7 different ones). Garmin is useless, like Huawei (personal experience). In the past Fitbit was much better already (owned 4 models), but the Pixel is next level. I do not like the brand (Fitbit hardware is notorious bad quality, my logical brain can't work with any Google software) but it helps me getting my therapy right. It detects naps, it shows awake moments that match breating issues in Oscar, the sleep quality numbers make more sense and I have a subjective good match between numbers and feeling. I never had that with my Garmin which I have sold after testing the Pixel Watch 3.

RE: Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? - SleepyMcDonald - 10-14-2024

I have been following Quantified Scientist from youtube also. Based on his reviews I have bought the Pixel Watch 3 also myself. I use it for many other purposes in addition to sleep tracking though. I agree I think this watch is best on Android, but the reality is none of the watches can really compete against EEG based devices.

RE: Recommendations for (fairly) accurate sleep trackers? - Albercook - 10-14-2024

Has anyone seen a microphone that goes on your neck? It seems to me you could get very good information about your breathing.

If I made one (with an microphone preamp, a realtime clock and an Arduino set up as datalogger) are there any software folks on here who could help me get the data into OSCAR?