Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? (/Thread-Where-can-i-buy-my-own-sleep-apnea-device)

Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? - dboom - 06-22-2024

When I look online, everything links to these "at home" sleep studies. I would like to own the device and be able to periodically do my own studies for my own knowledge. Where can I buy these sleep devices?

RE: Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? - Crimson Nape - 06-22-2024

If you are looking for the sleep lab quality test, you will need a polysomnogram device.  Polysomnography medical devices are currently around $12,105.  The polysomnogram records at least 12 channels that require at least 22 sleep study wires that would be attached to you.  

The At-Home devices can be found by searching for the term, "at home polysomnography machines for sale".

Regardless of which one you buy, who is going to read or interpret the data?

- Red

RE: Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 06-22-2024

You can read more about what is involved in sleep testing at this link.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10741861/

It would be very interesting if someone with the engineering ability could build an in-home sleep test using some easily found gadgetry like Raspberry PI with Oura ring or some smartwatch.

RE: Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? - SarcasticDave94 - 06-22-2024

Wouldn't it be better to treat than test? You list having an 11 series ResMed AutoSet. Get it set to give good therapy and you don't need to test.

RE: Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? - o0Appy0o - 06-22-2024

Your interest in a serious machine to do your own research reminds me of my situation.

I have a genetic heart condition and (long story short) I desired my own 12 lead EKG monitor so I would have access to the best data the most frequently. I had ongoing symptoms which could not ever be duplicated when seeing a doctor. I asked for a prescription because these are not available OTC, and for good reason. My cardiologist had recommended an OTC EKG monitor and thoroughly described how it would be overkill to obtain my own 12 lead medical grade EKG monitor. Even he was not utilizing one for more than a small fraction of what they can do, given the context of my situation.

RE: Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? - BoxcarPete - 06-22-2024

Some of us are off-PAP and not sure when Father Time is going to catch up to us and make apnea a problem again.

I'm lucky enough to have been cured of sleep apnea twice in my life so far, and I'm under no illusion that it will be gone for good this time either. First surgery bought me 20 years or so, the second one so far so good, but it's fresh. The economics of the price quoted by Crimson Nape are a tough sell for self-monitoring though, as my sleep lab ends up billing me around $800 per PSG. That's something like 18 tests to hit the break even point, and that's even disregarding the value of monitoring during test, and scoring/reporting the doctor does at the sleep lab. Doing a test every third year to keep ahead of it would break me even sometime in my 80s, which means I'm probably not going to worry about it and just go into the lab every once in a while till I get my next diagnosis.

RE: Where can i buy my own sleep apnea device? - Jay51 - 06-23-2024

I personally purchased a Wellue Sleepu oximeter (or any device that you would prefer).  To me (and Unicornrider posted the same thing recently), the SPO2 levels at night are more important than AHI to me personally.  Don't get me wrong though. I do believe AHI is important.  I will explain why.  

Hypoxia can occur with lower SPO2 levels (and the hypercarbia in the bloodstream and possibly acidosis also).  SPO2 levels during sleep should give a general indication of the severity of sleep apnea.  Although it may not be predictive of arousals that can wreak havoc on a good night's sleep (and I certainly work on lowering these to zero also), low SPO2 levels is where organ and tissue damage in the body can start to occur.  

Just my thoughts.