Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Wyze camera usage for sleep monitoring - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Wyze camera usage for sleep monitoring (/Thread-Wyze-camera-usage-for-sleep-monitoring)

Wyze camera usage for sleep monitoring - cps22 - 06-24-2024

I purchased a Wyze V3 camera so I could monitor my sleep positions. Wow, the night vision is pretty amazing, and my room is VERY dark! I bought a microSD card for it as I don't want to be putting my videos in the cloud or paying for a subscription I don't need. 

I'm wondering how other people manage their camera and the files... 

Do you leave the camera "on" all the time? Turn it on/off manually? Set a schedule for it? Obviously it doesn't need to be recording during the day.

Do you just record events/stream? Use the time-lapse recording?

How do you view the results - on the app, or do you download them to your phone and/or load them to your computer?

Any tips/tricks?

As a side note... usability of the app is pretty awful and nonintuitive if you're using an SD card, and my career was software development. Obviously it has been set up to try to force you into purchasing a subscription, which I get, but sheesh.

RE: Wyze camera usage for sleep monitoring - mawaw1992 - 06-24-2024

For years I was having clusters of obstructive apneas until I started wearing a soft cervical collar which brought my AHI all the way down to averaging less than 1.0 for over a year. The collar definitely helped until last year when I started having the clusters again despite wearing the collar. Could not figure what was going on. So I purchased a camera and mounted it on the wall next to my bed. I set it up to record all night to the SD card in the camera. Then I woke up the next morning, I imported the data from the card from my sleep machine into Oscar and then I watched the video from the camera on the app on my phone to see each time I turned onto my back noting the timeline. Then I would compare that time to the timeline of Oscar. The video helped me to see that, whenever I turned onto my back, the cluster of OA's started and as soon as I would turn onto my side, the clusters stopped. The camera help me to see that the clusters were definitely positional, but apparently something has changed effecting my airway that a collar won't fix. Hope that helps.

RE: Wyze camera usage for sleep monitoring - cps22 - 06-25-2024

Thanks. Fortunately, I don't get positional OAs, but I do have a lot of SpO2 drops and was wondering if they might be have to do with my sleep position. Weirdly, I think it's when I sleep on my left side.

RE: Wyze camera usage for sleep monitoring - BigWing - 06-27-2024

(06-25-2024, 02:51 PM)cps22 Wrote: Thanks. Fortunately, I don't get positional OAs, but I do have a lot of SpO2 drops and was wondering if they might be have to do with my sleep position. Weirdly, I think it's when I sleep on my left side.

You can determine that much more easily by using SomnoPose to record your sleeping position automatically. I use it every night and it's great!

Here's a sample few hours. If you look at the Orientation graph, 90° represents lying perfectly on my right side, whereas -90° means my left side. 0° is the dreaded supine, and you can see that I subconsciously twice rotated perilously close to that (and then back again later) because of an arousal.

[Image: arousal-turns.png]

RE: Wyze camera usage for sleep monitoring - cps22 - 06-27-2024

I never heard of SomnoPose - thank you! 

Although I might have an issue with a phone-based position sensor since I often sleep on my stomach (and my back, as it doesn't seem to bother me) and I'm not sure I want to crush my iPhone. I do have an old Samsung phone hanging around - I see from a bit of searching here that there is also an app for that (Torena) which exports in SomnoPose format. I might give that a try. 

I also wanted to use the camera to see if I was having restless leg syndrome, though I don't believe I do. My sleep study showed 15 limb movement events per hour of sleep, but it was a horrible night - I was extremely uncomfortable and I had a torn meniscus causing knee problems. But after a few nights of monitoring, I'm pretty sure that's not a problem for me.