Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New User with AHI going up - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New User with AHI going up (/Thread-New-User-with-AHI-going-up)

Pages: 1 2

New User with AHI going up - Smithaj39 - 07-19-2024

I started out six weeks ago with a nasal mask with leaks and switched to a full face mask.  I couldn't stand the mouth tape.  My doctor raised the pressure from 8/5 to 14/7.  Sometimes the OAE is high and sometimes the CAE are high.  My AHI is in the high 30's or 40's.  I just ordered a soft cervical collar.  I will try anything at this point.  I slept well last night but my numbers were still high.  I hope to attach my Oscar data.  I am new at all of this and hope it works.  Well that is not what I expected.  Forgive my ignorance.  Can you help?

***  Moderator Note: Corrupted image removed  ***

Images can not be hosted from a personal computer, or pasted directly into a post.
Please upload apnea related images (only) to the Apnea Board server, or use an image hosting service for all others.  
Please read this link for further information:  "How to: Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board" .

RE: New User with AHI going up - Crimson Nape - 07-19-2024

Please do not post another thread or image until you read Attaching Images in the Forum Account Help/How Do I... thread.
https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-Attachments
- Red

RE: New User with AHI going up - Deborah K. - 07-19-2024

If you would like to use your nasal mask again, there is a workaround for using mouth tape.  Before putting the tape on, spread Milk of Magnesia (yep, the white liquid for diarrhea) over your mouth and the surrounding area where the tape will be, let it dry, at least mostly, then apply the tape.  Removal in the morning will not hurt.

Also, a nasal pillows mask might work better. They leak the least of the various types of masks, probably because they are smaller and make the least contact with your face.

RE: New User with AHI going up - Smithaj39 - 07-19-2024

I'm sorry.  I did read that link before I tried to post but I cannot handle the technology involved.  I will not try to attach anything in the future.  I think this forum will best serve my needs by reading others' posts.  Thank you for your help here.

RE: New User with AHI going up - Deborah K. - 07-19-2024

Please don't give up!  We can offer you lots of help if you post Oscar charts.  It's a little tricky at first, but you'll catch on.  I'm pretty techno-phobic, so if I can do it anyone can.

Actually, just ask for step by step directions on this forum.  That's what I did.  Some kind person who can explain it better than I can will come along and help you, I'm sure.  Smile

RE: New User with AHI going up - Narcil - 07-19-2024

(07-19-2024, 05:51 PM)Smithaj39 Wrote: I'm sorry.  I did read that link before I tried to post but I cannot handle the technology involved.  I will not try to attach anything in the future.  I think this forum will best serve my needs by reading others' posts.  Thank you for your help here.

please don't give up, did you try to use the attachement feature? 

you need to click "reply" or "new reply" under my post not use the quick reply box at the bottom, you can't upload pictures there.

once you've started a reply in the attachement section click "choose file", find your picture on your computer and select it (by clicking open on windows). then click "add attachment" and that's it. repeat up to 3 times if you want to attach more pictures.

RE: New User with AHI going up - Smithaj39 - 07-20-2024

Thanks for the information, Narcil.  The problem was that I took a screen shot of Oscar and didn't know how to make that into a file.  So I attached the screen shot which was a no no.  I often attach files when I send emails and so am familiar.  It was getting Oscar into a file format that puzzled me.  It took me an hour just to figure out how to do a screen shot on my lap top.

RE: New User with AHI going up - Crimson Nape - 07-20-2024

Smithaj39  -  While in OSCAR, use the F12 key for a Windows computer or Fn+F12 for a Mac.  This will take the screenshot and store it as a ".png" file.  You would then attach (Add Attachment) this file to your post. Finally, by selecting the "Insert into the post" will insert the image in the post.
- Red

RE: New User with AHI going up - Smithaj39 - 07-20-2024

Thank you for the help.  Last night I fell asleep after 12.  I checked the AHI before I went around 11:30 and it was 38.  This is while I was awake.  This sure confuses me.  I noticed that it was mostly central apneas.  I just ordered a cervical collar.  Maybe this was a waste of money.  I will try to attach last nights Oscar.  Well I hope it is here.  I see something at the end of the post. Any suggestions are appreciated.

[attachment=67225]

RE: New User with AHI going up - Deborah K. - 07-20-2024

I see several problems.  You need to raise your upper-pressure limit to 20, as you spend almost all night at the 14 you now have set for the limit.  

Did you have an extremely high number of CAs in your sleep study?  If you don't know, please post a redacted copy of your sleep study.  If you don't have a copy, ask your doctor for it.  By law, the doctor needs to provide it if you ask.  

You also have Positional Apnea (PA).  PA shows on your chart where you have tight clusters of apneas.  This means that you are sleeping with your chin tipped toward your chest.  The result is rather like a kink in a hose that deters water flow.  With PA it results in reduced air flow.  No setting can fix this.  You have already ordered a cervical collar.  That should work.

Good luck with getting these problems under control! Smile