Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New user, Bad Scores. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New user, Bad Scores. (/Thread-New-user-Bad-Scores)

Pages: 1 2

New user, Bad Scores. - condition - 07-25-2024

Hello, new member, as I have read, better to make a short intro and keep my questions in one thread for easy reference.
I am 53 with chronic and very bothering nasal dryness, congestion, and permanent rhinitis. 
However NEVER snorted. 
I was on/off antihistamines, montelaukast, sprays and of course nasal strips at night. About 6 months ago, I researched for cheaper nasal strips and found nasal strips and mouth tapes at the same price I spent for the nasal.

After a week of mouthtaping, I started reducing the meds and felt better than years. Sleep apnea seemed then very possible to me. All suddenly made sense: I was very light sleeper, ALWAYS had night sweats and cracked teeth with implants. I live in Athens GR, and arranged a spirometry and sleep test. The 2024 spirometry was better than 2019 spirometry (in view of mouth taping) and the home test showed 33 AHI, always sleeping on my sides though, I never could sleep on my back.

Then my battle with CPAP and masks started. As a synopsis, I have 3 limitations (after trial and error):
1. I can only use nasal pillows, as Airfit N20 medium and large and Airtouch F20 L and Airfit F20 Med, leave a very nasty mark on my nose bridge (haven't tried the mirage- forehead type masks)
2. The mouth tape with nasal pillows, makes me congested after some days, so full face hybrid mask necessary. Huge leaks if not mouth taping, with nasal or pillows masks, score 0/20
3. The EPR setting, makes my ears feel pressure the next day, definitely the 3 setting.

Therefore I upload last two nights OSCAR data, using mainly Airfit F40 mask, as it leaves no marks and some general stats showing me changing settings. FWIW I prefer the setting Full Face instead of Pillows, as it is recommended in the F40's instructions but the 2 nghts data are on the recommended Pillows setting, thanks.

RE: New user, Bad Scores. - HalfAsleep - 07-25-2024

When your pressure chart looks like the Alps skyline, it often points to a settings issue. However, that’s not my skill set. I’m sure someone will be along to address that.

But, all in all, you’re doing a great job! Your leaks are well-managed, and your AHI is much reduced. The F40 appears to work well for you.

Question…Athens’ air is notoriously smoggy. Do you have to take precautions in your home, so it’s easy to breathe? Air quality might be a factor in your congestion?

Also, could you adjust your charts to the exact layout in Apneaboard’s protocol? Especially, if you could de-select the calendar. Posters need to see ALL the info below the calendar to analyze the stats.

RE: New user, Bad Scores. - Narcil - 07-25-2024

Welcome

So the sleep study noted no positional issues? did you have CAs during the sleep study? you've been on CPAP for 2 months?

Have you ever tried CPAP mode?

gj on the mask anyways you seem to have that figured out.

RE: New user, Bad Scores. - condition - 07-25-2024

(07-25-2024, 07:03 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: When your pressure chart looks like the Alps skyline, it often points to a settings issue. However, that’s not my skill set. I’m sure someone will be along to address that.

But, all in all, you’re doing a great job! Your leaks are well-managed, and your AHI is much reduced. The F40 appears to work well for you.

Question…Athens’ air is notoriously smoggy. Do you have to take precautions in your home, so it’s easy to breathe? Air quality might be a factor in your congestion?

Also, could you adjust your charts to the exact layout in Apneaboard’s protocol? Especially, if you could de-select the calendar. Posters need to see ALL the info below the calendar to analyze the stats.

Thank you. I have uploaded updated charts. Is the layout proper now? I also forgot to add the following:
Athens is under continuous heatwaves this summer, and we use all night air-conditioning, well maintnaied. 
Because of the strong hot winds the air quality is greater than average but the climate is very dry.  
Therefore I use humidifier with setting at 4 and I do not need an indoor humidifier, as per previous years without CPAP therapy.

RE: New user, Bad Scores. - condition - 07-25-2024

(07-25-2024, 07:18 AM)Narcil Wrote: Welcome

So the sleep study noted no positional issues? did you have CAs during the sleep study? you've been on CPAP for 2 months?

Have you ever tried CPAP mode?

gj on the mask anyways you seem to have that figured out.

Thank you for the welcome, unfortunately I am not in possession of the sleep study and the Doctor is on holidays. I will get it soon.

I use CPAP therapy since April and always on APAP mode. This would be my new trial.

RE: New user, Bad Scores. - condition - 07-28-2024

Hello, I have increased the max pressure and AHI has decreased but not adequately.
Friday 8 to 13.4 & EPR 1
Sat 8.4 to 14, EPR off.
I am trying to establish a base, like keep AHI below 4 and also to avoid ear pressure that seems related to high pressure or EPR.
As I understand EPR affects only the exhalation, not the max pressure but the lower. 
If this is correct, is the max pressure better for me at 14 or 13.4? 
I guess that my screenshots are now in the proper zoom settings, if not please advise.

RE: New user, Bad Scores. - Narcil - 07-28-2024

the machine never gets above 13 so really, it doesn't matter if you use 14 or 13.4 as max Wink

epr (expiratory pressure relief) only lowers pressure on exhale yes. if the machine currently is giving you 12cm for example, with epr 1 exhalation will be at 11cm.

already 3 months on cpap can't really call it treatment emergent anymore... i still wonder if you had CAs during your study, but i think it's time to tell the doc you have complex sleep apnea.

(07-28-2024, 04:49 AM)Narcil Wrote: the machine never gets above 13 so really, it doesn't matter if you use 14 or 13.4 as max Wink

epr (expiratory pressure relief) only lowers pressure on exhale yes. if the machine currently is giving you 12cm for example, with epr 1 exhalation will be at 11cm.

already 3 months on cpap can't really call it treatment emergent anymore... i still wonder if you had CAs during your study, but i think it's time to tell the doc you have complex sleep apnea.

Thank you for prompt reply. I also noticed the max pressure below 13. 

Till the end of August, my Doctor will be unavailable.

RE: New user, Bad Scores. - Narcil - 07-28-2024

maybe try cpap mode one night to see if it helps ? i would set it at 11cm no epr.

I tried briefly on Friday and felt ear pressure, at left ear which is easy irritated, but I will try again and revert. Almost every night I begin CPAP therapy, I feel post nasal drip after couple of minutes, and if I try to swallow, my ears feel high pressure. 

Regarding possible central apnea, I serched forums and it seems that my APAP may not be suitable. My insurance rents the ResMed 10 from a cpap store. It won't be difficult to upgrade as I do not own the device and  the store owns a variety of resmed devices. 

My question now is: is the ResMed home test adequate for central apnea? I can request to repeat sleep study at a clinic. Would that be helpful?