Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? (/Thread-Some-masks-better-for-pressures-above-8)

Pages: 1 2

Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - UsuallyTired - 07-25-2024

Someone recently commented to me that some masks don't work as well at higher pressures. I wonder if you all have any comments or experience to add. 

I'm asking b/c I'm attempting to increase my pressure. 

I have a short beard and am currently using the N30 nasal cushion. I would prefer using some sort of nasal version. 

I have a big nose, which also seems complicate the the fit of FFMs. I tried a ResMed F20 FFM, and I had trouble getting it to fit either around my nose or around my chin, which always fell back as soon as I slept. 

With all this said, sometimes I do vent orally at pressures above 6, so maybe I should prioritize finding a better FFM. 

Thanks

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - HalfAsleep - 07-25-2024

Before any of that, post some Oscars (according to board protocol: see menu). I’m not versed in pressure settings except to tell you that your pressure would make me feel like I couldn’t breathe, because of how low it is. I’m anticipating that settings are a more significant issue right now, than the mask.

I’ve only had issues with a mask turning into a hovercraft if my pressure is at 14 or so. And I have always used masks on the lighter side. There are masks that are more robust and can accommodate high pressures, but as far as I can tell, you’re faaaar from needing anything heavy duty.

For mask ideas, I recommend LankyLefty’s YT videos. He discusses alot of them, and demonstrates how they go on the face. Plus, to your advantage, he has a big nose.

Yep, post Oscars.

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - sauerkraut - 07-25-2024

UsuallyTired;
I've only used the Resmed F-20 and had good luck with it ..
If You go to the Home page there is a section for Product 
Reviews .. You might find some useful information there ..

Good Luck

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - Phaleronic - 07-25-2024

Full face masks are typically needed with high pressures. I run constant pressure at 15.5 which is relatively high, and I use the Resmed Airfit F20 system, but I've tried the F40 and the F&P Vitera. All three are good systems for higher pressure but I prefer the F20 for the comfort (full beard and mustache). Smile

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - SarcasticDave94 - 07-26-2024

This probably may help somewhat, any mask that is of proper: size cushion, shape for you, fit/adjustment of straps, then it should handle most pressures available on CPAP. Higher pressures may require adjusting differently than lower pressures.

If your user info is up to date, your EPR 3 will be hindered by starting pressure 5 blocking the EPR until it goes to 7 or above. Here's a case where a small pressure increase may actually lower your Min exhale pressure.

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - UsuallyTired - 07-27-2024

Please excuse the delay. The night before last wasn't very representative of my sleep. 

I'm in the midst of adjusting my settings, and last night I may have found something that worked to get rid of my hypopneas and RERAs. 

Last night: APAP 7-11 with EPR Off
Previous night: APAP 7-10 with EPR 1

My biggest question now is, what about those CAs? I always have some, ranging from 0 - ~2.0. Is this a concern, or what can I do to minimize that? I suspect I may have some nasal flow limitations (UARS), if that helps. 

@HalfAsleep, I posted some Oscars. If I'm allowed to post all of them, I'll post a full night from last night and the night before. I will also post a couple zoomed in on areas that I don't know are typical fluctuations or not. 

I also noted some Large Leaks, which are not common for me. Is there any significance to that? Maybe I could just tighten up my mask. 

Thank you for recommending LankyLefty's videos. 

@sauerkraut, thank you for pointing me to the product review section. 

@Phaleronic, thank you for the comments and your experience w/ the F20 with a beard & mustache. Does the beard and mustache mean that you *always* end up with a leak? Do you have to strap it down very tight to be effective? 

@SarcasticDave94, sorry my info is a bit out of date. I posted above my latest settings. 

Last night (APAP 7-11 with EPR Off)
[attachment=67538]

Previous night (APAP 7-10 with EPR 1)
[attachment=67539]

Zoom in to a random Flow Limit fluctuation. Does this mean anything? Do healthy people have fluctuations like this? 
[attachment=67541]

Thank you, all.

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - Weld3z - 07-27-2024

My current pressure is 14/20 PS4 
Tried F20 (AirTouch) The cushion not the silicone for a couple of days it doesn't work with me.
Went back to Vitra in the middle of the night.
Oh, and something like RemZzzs helps leak in my case.

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - HalfAsleep - 07-27-2024

Keep following the settings advice and keep working with mask leaks. Wait a few days and post a new Oscar. You’re coming right along.

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - UsuallyTired - 07-27-2024

@Weld3Z, thanks for the tips for Vitra and RemZzzs. I wasn't familiar with either of those. 
@HalfAsleep, I will definitely update later.

RE: Some masks better for pressures above ~8? - UsuallyTired - 08-18-2024

I've been trying out different masks and settings, and my sleep has gotten worse. 

I had been using an N30 mask at pressure 6, but people were commenting that my Oscars indicated a need for greater pressure. However, at above 6, I have problems with oral venting. 

After trying several alternatives, I've found the ResMed F40 to fit the best and leak the least (with my big nose and short beard). However, my CPAP numbers seem worse than when this all started, and I feel awful today after last night's sleep. I am attaching last night's Oscar. 

Any insight? The higher pressure I go, the worse my numbers seem to get. 

[attachment=68435]