Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! (/Thread-Aircurve-10-VAUTO-Not-pushing-Air)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - DFWdude - 07-27-2024

My 4 year-old ResMed Aircurve 10 vauto has developed a problem, so I am seeking advice... 

I have severe apnea (65 AHI), so I need my machine to prompt me to breathe.  Normally, when I exhale, the machine will push air into my mask if I don't breathe within 3-4 seconds.  Lately, the machine has stopped doing this, meaning that I must inhale myself (manually) when asleep.  MyAir feedback has gone from 3-6 events per hour to 18-25 events.   My doctor recommended going from 14 EPAP to 16 EPAP, but this hasn't helped... in fact made it worse (28 events).

I can't qualify for a new machine until March, 2025, so I am hoping to find settings that will bridge me over the next 8 months.  I have full medical access to my machine, but I don't know which setting can make a difference.  

Currently, my settings are: VAUTO, Max 25 IPAP, Min 16 EPAP, 5 Pressure Support, Ti Max 2s, Ti Min 0.3s, Trigger MED, and Cycle MED using Smart Start.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

RE: Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - HalfAsleep - 07-27-2024

Post Oscars. Exact instructions are in the menu. Then folks can see how settings play out in your sleep. It’s the best (only) way to get sound settings advice, because it’s data-based for every sleeping moment.

Turn off SmartStart! It’s been messing people up. Even my DME says so. My SmartStart stops but doesn’t start.

RE: Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 07-27-2024

Please post your OSCAR charts. The links in my signature explain how to download and format the charts for posting.

Without seeing some data, it is difficult to say what you are experiencing.

RE: Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - SarcasticDave94 - 07-27-2024

Your VAuto is not a ventilator. The ventilator class will support initiation of a breath, as in prompt a breath as you call it, not with any CPAP class of machine.

The way a ventilator will prompt will be a timing aspect under backup breath rate. What medically requires this for you? Which lung disease? If you say Apnea, no. Your VAuto will always be spontaneous in action, meaning you just initiate breathing. The VAuto never initiates a breath for you, no setting can change this.

Consider downloading the free OSCAR app, so you can view your VAuto data and then post it here as a new attachment. We can help better with this daily detail report.

RE: Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - DFWdude - 07-27-2024

OK, attached is my OSCAR chart for July 24.  I hope it includes the needed info.

RE: Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - OpalRose - 07-27-2024

If you've been using this VAuto for 4 years thinking it initiates a breath, then someone has been doing you a great disservice. The Auto is a great machine, but not for Central Sleep Apnea.

The only thing you can try with the VAuto is to move the Trigger setting to Very High and see if that makes a difference.

RE: Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - Nightynite - 07-27-2024

You should go see your DME with this problem, they may help you with a loaner and help you get yours repaired.

The previous OSCAR was for Jul 24.  For contrast, below is a much better one from two weeks before (Jul 11).

RE: Aircurve 10 VAUTO Not pushing Air! - SarcasticDave94 - 07-27-2024

The high level of centrals prompts new questions, what did your sleep study details indicate regarding Central Apnea?

Have your results been like this mostly?

Can you walk us through your diagnosis, the discussion with the prescribing physician, etc. up to getting VAuto and the ongoing advisement from your medicals?

Oh, forgot to mention, you'll probably want to lower PS to 4 maybe 3. This PS 5 can increase CA events. Then the Ramp is an issue itself. It robbed you therapy time 5X that chart. I'd try to turn it off or at least make Ramp pressure equal to your therapy minimum with Auto timing.

(07-27-2024, 11:33 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The high level of centrals prompts new questions, what did your sleep study details indicate regarding Central Apnea?

Have your results been like this mostly?

Can you walk us through your diagnosis, the discussion with the prescribing physician, etc. up to getting VAuto and the ongoing advisement from your medicals?

Oh, forgot to mention, you'll probably want to lower PS to 4 maybe 3. This PS 5 can increase CA events. Then the Ramp is an issue itself. It robbed you therapy time 5X that chart. I'd try to turn it off or at least make Ramp pressure equal to your therapy minimum with Auto timing.

My initial Sleep Study indicated nothing more than Obstructive Sleep Apnea.  I am due for a new sleep study and will have that done in the near future.

I have changed PS to 3.0 (it was 4.0 before the doc changed it to 5 four days ago).  Also changed ramp to 20 minutes, and trigger to "very high" per advice from OpalRose.