Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall (/Thread-Oscar-stopped-working-and-cannot-reinstall)

Pages: 1 2

Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - GeorgeGus - 08-25-2024

I have had Oscar for about one year. I first installed it on my W10 desktop where it still works fine. I installed on my W11 laptop about two months ago, where it has been working fine until yesterday. I tried to upload the recent data from my SD card but instead of the usual screen I got the Profile screen showing 5 profiles I had used. I could not get out of this screen and very few of the buttons responded.

I uninstalled Oscar and reinstalled. Same problem. It went straight to the Profile screen and still listed the five old profiles. Would not go to any other screen.

What to do?

RE: Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - staceyburke - 08-25-2024

have you tried to select one of the profiles?

RE: Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - GeorgeGus - 08-26-2024

Yes nothing happens when I click any of the profiles.

The problem is that it is opening to the profile screen instead of the general screen.

Is no else with W11 having a problem?

RE: Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - Crimson Nape - 08-26-2024

Try this and see if it corrects your problem.
    To specify which users or groups can access a file or folder:
  1. Right-click the file or folder you want to set permissions for and select "Properties".
  2. Navigate to the "Security" tab.
  3. Click on the "Edit" button to change permissions.
  4. In the permissions window, select a user or group from the list. Then, check or uncheck the boxes in the "Permissions for [username]" section to grant or deny specific permissions (like "Read", "Write", etc.).
  5. Tip: Adding the group, "Everybody" and setting it to Full Access for your Documents folder should correct OSCAR access problems.
  6. If the option "Apply to subdirectories" is present, select it.
  7. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

User Account Control (UAC):
  • UAC is a security feature that can prompt users for permission or an administrator password before allowing certain tasks.
  • To adjust UAC settings:
    • In the search bar, type "UAC" and click on "Change User Account Control settings".
    • Use the slider to select the desired level of notification/alert. Moving the slider to the top will notify you whenever apps try to make changes, while moving it to the bottom will disable notifications.
    • Click "OK" to save the changes.

Please post your success or failure.
- Red

RE: Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - GeorgeGus - 08-28-2024

I don’t think I explained it clearly. I do not see any files or folders

The only screen I can see is the one that has the profiles on it. There are four drop-down menus, file, view, data, and help. You has viewed daily, you overview, etc., but tapping them is nonresponsive.

There are five profiles listed, but they are all nonresponsive.

Hi uninstalled and installed Oscar and I don’t understand why I still got the old profile list instead of a blank page.

I suppose I need to find the Oscar program folder. Could you identify that for me.

All very strange

RE: Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - Crimson Nape - 08-28-2024

The OSCAR program is in your Program Files folder. Your OSCAR data is (supposed to be) in your Documents folder. Uninstalling OSCAR will do absolutely nothing about your data.

Start OSCAR, go to the Help > About OSCAR. Select the link on the right, "Show data folder". Copy the displayed path and post it here.
- Red

RE: Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - GeorgeGus - 08-28-2024

C:\Users\georg\Documents\OSCAR_Data

Good! Now go to your Documents folder. Right-click on OSCAR_Data, select Properties, and using the instructions I previously provided, add "Everyone" with Full Access to this folder. Otherwise, we have to move the data directory to another location on your hard drive.
- Red

Follow up:
Your problem seems to be Windows 11 specific. A search found the following:
"In Windows 11, use the Privacy page to choose which apps can use a particular feature. Select Start > Settings > Privacy & security. Select an App permission (for example, Location) then choose which apps can access it."

Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/app-permissions-aea98a7c-b61a-1930-6ed0-47f0ed2ee15c
- Red

RE: Oscar stopped working and cannot reinstall - GeorgeGus - 08-29-2024

I got to the properties screen for Oscar data properties. I went to the sharing tab and shared the network path. I then went to advanced sharing and shared the folder. Oscar data.

I then clicked advanced sharing and then and then clicked permissions where I was able to add everyone

I restarted the computer and clicked Oscar and it took me back to that same frozen profile screen

I then went to privacy and security under the start page and found the permissions but there were a couple dozen and I had no idea which one to pick

I am surprised no one else has reported this problem. I guess there are not any windows 11 users