Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? (/Thread-Surviving-an-overnight-flight-with-apnea)

Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? - McMartin - 09-17-2024

Good news: I am going to Hawaii.  Bad news: the return flight is overnight.

I am concerned because I cannot sleep sitting upright.  My apnea is too severe.  I have only tested this so far trying to sleep on daytime shorter flights, and it is misery of sleep-wake-sleep-wake. 

I am concerned that the overnight all-night flight is going to wreck me.

I am able to control my apnea at home with an Aircurve ASV.  But I have several concerns about trying to fly with a device.  (1) This device is large and bulky and has a humidifier reservoir. (2) It requires access to power (not always available in the cheap seats), or investing in a battery. (3) I am not really keen on flying with that monster-from-alien contraption strapped to my face.

So.. I am looking for suggestions.

Note: I use a good travel neck pillow.  My seat is in the middle section, not a window.

TIA.

RE: Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 09-17-2024

I have flown well over one mlllion miles since my apnoea diagnosis and never have used my CPAP machine for overnight flights, of which there were quite a few. 

I have taken it to around 20 countries with no difficulties. I just carry it on the plane and only one time was I told to put it in the overhead. Which I did (then removed when they were not looking. Shhh).

RE: Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? - McMartin - 09-17-2024

(09-17-2024, 06:50 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: I have flown well over one mlllion miles since my apnoea diagnosis and never have used my CPAP machine for overnight flights, of which there were quite a few. 

I have taken it to around 20 countries with no difficulties. I just carry it on the plane and only one time was I told to put it in the overhead. Which I did (then removed when they were not looking. Shhh).

Thanks for the reply.  I am not entirely clear though: you do not use the cpap in flights, but you do carry it on the plane?

I have no problem bringing my cpap in luggage and using it in other locations.  My concern is that an all-night flight may be very rough for me without a cpap, but I have some concerns about using it during the flight.  So I am looking for thoughts/ideas/commiseration from people with that same problem.

RE: Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? - PeaceLoveAndPizza - 09-17-2024

Correct, I do not use if on the flights but I do in the hotels. On flights I just sleep as best I can. Even if I get a business upgrade I do not use it. 

I also do not check it in as luggage, even if I could fit it in my luggage. I have seen how some luggage folks toss bags around.

RE: Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? - Nightynite - 09-17-2024

It’s like you really only have 2 choices. Don’t use it or get one of those small travel cpaps and an approved small power supply. The cost and amount of time you would actually use it would be something to consider.

RE: Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? - McMartin - 09-17-2024

(09-17-2024, 07:34 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: Correct, I do not use if on the flights but I do in the hotels. On flights I just sleep as best I can. Even if I get a business upgrade I do not use it. 

I also do not check it in as luggage, even if I could fit it in my luggage. I have seen how some luggage folks toss bags around.

Thanks.

(09-17-2024, 07:34 PM)Nightynite Wrote: It’s like you really only have 2 choices.  Don’t use it or get one of those small travel cpaps and an approved small power supply. The cost and amount of time you would actually use it would be something to consider.

That sounds about right.

RE: Surviving an overnight flight with apnea? - G. Szabo - 09-18-2024

(09-17-2024, 07:34 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: I also do not check it in as luggage, even if I could fit it in my luggage. I have seen how some luggage folks toss bags around.

I have the same practice. What happens if your luggage is lost or delayed? Your instrument must always be under your control. 
I agree that it is less of a hassle not to use it during a flight than to use it.